The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ghudson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by ghudson »

I really enjoyed the Divergent series. I read the books first . The Hunger games I watched the movies first,maybe that's why I like it less than the Divergent series. :)
Eloagent

Post by Eloagent »

Hunger Games I will always love better because of Roths third and final book. But they r both great. Love Tris/4, Katniss/Peeta. Such great couples. Roth does better romance, Suzanne Collins does good action/little bit romance. Love them both.
jessicahope923

Post by jessicahope923 »

I felt like I admired the society along the Divergent series greater than I did in the Hunger Games trilogy. With that being said, I grew more attached to the characters (not just Katniss and Peeta) in the Hunger Games than I did Divergent. I agree in the fact that besides Tris, Four, and other main characters, not much information is given about what is going on with them. I also thought that Tris and Katniss' mindset of the world was comparable. They were both about saving other people before themselves and were willing to do anything to see those plans go through. I truly liked both series, but I just felt more lenient towards the Hunger Games series because I felt more attached to the different characters in the storyline.
d_gsmer

Post by d_gsmer »

I (like most of you) have read all three of the Hunger Games series. However, I only read the first two books of the Divergent series, that is Divergent and Insurgent. Now usually once I start a series, I am compelled to finish out that series come hail or high water. However with the Divergent series, I honestly think that I could live my life without reading the last book. Now I'm not saying that the Divergent series is a bad series in any way, I'm just saying that I feel like the Hunger Games may have been slightly better written, and gave the reader more of the "I just gotta know what happens next or I may just fall over dead!" feeling. Overall, I feel that both were good reads. :)
berk_sumpter
Currently Reading: The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berk-sumpter.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by berk_sumpter »

Personally, I love both series. However, I like the story line to divergent a bit better. I like how the series covered the story line of more characters, and that the characters have a bit more depth then the hunger games characters. Both the hunger games and divergent are great series though and I would recommend them both!
Kayla_reads

Post by Kayla_reads »

I think that both were very intense and thrilling. The Hunger Games was more predictable but it still kept you entertained. However the divergent series really had you wonder what could happen next and it kept you in the edge of your seat. It was very climatic and really wasn’t all about romance like the hunger games was.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I've read the Hunger Games but I have not read any of the divergent series. I love all of the movies of both series. I definitely plan on reading all of them, but I don't think I will choose favorites.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I could never really get into the Divergent series. The Hunger Games is where it's at for me. I love the richness of the plot and scenes, I had no difficulty feeling a part of the action.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Ok for one I'm a huge fan of both books. But if I had to pick one hands down on The Hunger Games. Collins did a much better job of planning her story out. For me it seemed like Roth came up short in the last book and just flipped a coin for the series ending. I really thought there would be something much bigger outside the fence. Instead it was more of the smae with just a different package and label. Collins characters was much better thought threw and developed. Roth characters was at most 2d with little depth and constantly flipping woth little to no real reasons. And I have to give a shout out to the screen writers on the movie catching fire that was an amazing adaptation of the book one of the best to date (in my opinion)
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I've read The Hunger Games and enjoyed the book. I like the film too.
I liked the Divergent film as well but haven't got around to the books yet. I plan to at some point though, but I still think I'd put The Hunger games first. I was so engrossed in the books.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I personally liked the Divergent trilogy better. I didn't like the ending of either series. To be honest, I don't even remember reading Mockingjay, even though I know that I did. The Divergent trilogy just drew me in better and kept my attention for longer than the Hunger Games did. However, if we were discussing Collins' Gregor the Overlander series, I would have to say that that series is better than both the Hunger Games and the Divergent trilogies.
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

The Hunger Games for sure! Divergent felt a bit like a rip off.
Danimac217
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Danimac217 »

I really like both. I love the tests that both main characters have to go through, however I do prefer The Hunger Games series to the Divergent series. I felt that the characters were more developed in The Hunger Games, and I preferred Suzanne Collins' writing overall; I read the series back to back over one weekend, whereas the Divergent series didn't feel as gripping. There were more unexpected twists in The Hunger Games.
melissam123

Post by melissam123 »

i've read hunger games, i like that better :techie-studyingbrown:
Books Galore
Currently Reading: Say You're Sorry
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Books Galore »

Apparently, I'm an odd ball. lol

I actually preferred Divergent over Hunger Games. Both awesome trilogies...don't get me wrong! However, the twists that Veronica Roth threw at us at the end of Divergent stuck with me long after I finished the books. Hunger Games was only thrilling during the journey for me. Once I finished Hunger Games I didn't find myself thinking as much about those.

BUT--both awesome reads and both possible re-reads for me (if I ever find the time :D )

Happy Reading!
Books Galore

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”