The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaewe2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by Jaewe2 »

Divergent series does not have much continuity to it, they skip from part to part. Hunger Games keeps it straight with the context until the last book where they speed everything up at the end (what happens to Gale, what happens to Peeta and Katniss, etc).
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I love both trilogies so much, but I have to go with Divergent. I connected so hard with this book. The characters, the setting, the romance. I loved it all.
Slytherbook07

Post by Slytherbook07 »

I thoroughly enjoyed both trilogies however my heart goes out to Panem.I feel that Suzanne Collins created a more developed plot.The characters in her story where easy to connect to, it felt as though she really understood the pain the characters were going through. Both The Hunger Games and Divergent were well received however I feel that divergent lacks something that Suzanne Collins has mastered.
JordanRawrz

Post by JordanRawrz »

I have only read the first Hunger Games book so far and while it was really good and I enjoyed it more than the movie, but I have to admit that I like the Divergent series a lot more. Both sets of characters and both plots are amazing but I have more of the need to finish the Divergent series and see what happens next than I do Hunger Games, Divergent is also a series I find myself rereading whereas I've only read the first Hunger Games book one time. I believe Divergent has more intense action into it that keeps spiraling into more and more while Hunger Games has a little action but more overthrowing the government I guess I would say.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Slytherbook07 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:28 I thoroughly enjoyed both trilogies however my heart goes out to Panem.I feel that Suzanne Collins created a more developed plot.The characters in her story where easy to connect to, it felt as though she really understood the pain the characters were going through. Both The Hunger Games and Divergent were well received however I feel that divergent lacks something that Suzanne Collins has mastered.
Panem felt so real to me when I read the series. It was as if the world truly existed.
Eva Messer

Post by Eva Messer »

I connected more towards the divergent series because of the small fact that I still to this day believe that everyone is growing up in their set place on the pyramid of wealth and popularity, so I don’t really believe that you can fight your way to the top like they did in the hunger games series. One might be part of all of them but not just one.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Hmmmmm....difficult to choose but i think i connected more with characters of the hunger games.
Nabiha 8117

Post by Nabiha 8117 »

I have read hunger games and divergent both. I really think that both of the books are outstanding and so good. They are 2 different books and are unique in their own ways but also very similar because both have a rebellion going on and both given the same message. As to the message it is to always choose the right path even if it is difficult or hard. I would personally not get into the comparison of the two books but if we had to compare I would go with hunger games as it is such an interesting book not that I am criticizing divergent, it is also very good but hunger games is just a little better.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I am partial to the Hunger Games, I felt like the series had way more social commentary and are more relevant today
Brooke_4

Post by Brooke_4 »

I have read both of these trilogies and loved both. I do not like people comparing them because they are vastly different, even though they may be similar in some ways. They are two different versions of this world. Both trilogies are well written and amazing concepts in my mind. But I am partial to the Hunger Games because I read it first and fell in love with it first.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I personally never read either of these series, but I asked my daughter as she has read both and she said that The Hunger Games were a better series than the Divergent Series. She felt that the characters were more defined and that the storyline was not left with loose ends in The Hunger Games.
Gizzle3265

Post by Gizzle3265 »

I have read the Hunger Games and the Divergent books. I enjoyed both of them but, I personally prefer Hunger Games over Divergent. In my opinion Susan Collins developed the theme and storyline very clearly. She described and developed the characters so well that I became attached to them. Reading Hunger Games brought out so many emotions and thoughts. With Divergent I didn’t feel so much attached but the storyline was well developed and the action in it was very interesting and caught my attention.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

The divergent series seemed more interesting to me on the basis of its storyline. I love how Roth has presented such a strong and brave female protagonist. The Hunger Games is a great series but somehow I seemed to connect with Tris more than Katniss.
Julie-gp

Post by Julie-gp »

Hunger Games and Divergent share many considerable similarities for example the dystopian worlds, the plot and also the strong female protagonist. Though I have to say Hunger Games is my favorite for many reasons. One of them is the main character that was written better and that I connected with more. Also her character development and the amazingly explored traumas that Katniss has to deal with. Though, the thing I enjoyed the most was the criticism on aspects like media manipulation, oppressive governments and social inequality.
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

I read both awhile back and enjoyed both series but i found myself more drawn to the characters and storyline of the divergent series. Anyone else cry at the end?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”