The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessicalaurenw1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicalaurenw1.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by Jessicalaurenw1 »

I have read both series and I have to say I enjoyed the Hunger Games series much more. The characters were more fully developed and each plot point was clear. In the Divergent series I felt I did not know or understand the characters thought processes and even got frustrated with them. I also noticed gaps in the story and places where I needed so much more information. The Hunger Games series was entertaining and kept me hooked where the Divergent series became a chore for me to finish that last book.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Jessicalaurenw1 wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:46 I have read both series and I have to say I enjoyed the Hunger Games series much more. The characters were more fully developed and each plot point was clear. In the Divergent series I felt I did not know or understand the characters thought processes and even got frustrated with them. I also noticed gaps in the story and places where I needed so much more information. The Hunger Games series was entertaining and kept me hooked where the Divergent series became a chore for me to finish that last book.
I've heard that the first Divergent book was really captivating but after that they all went downhill a little. Would you say the same?
kimbaschaff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimbaschaff.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by kimbaschaff »

I was invested in both series' and they were both exciting to me, but I think Hunger Games was a bit more cohesive. Also, Allegiant really confused me when they started switching perspectives.
Username+12345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Username+12345 »

I have read Divergent and think it to be more interesting than Hunger Games. Divergent allows you to visualise and analyse the story better than Hunger Games. It is a story which is hard to understand but when you do it, I am sure, it would be the best book you would have ever read. Also the story line leaves us with suspense which I enjoy a lot.

Hope you may find this review useful!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Divergent! It had a very risky turn but i still loved it.
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

I 100% prefer The Hunger Games. Divergent left too much to the imagination, and Tris was too one-dimensional for my taste. Still an excellent series, though.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

After looking at these comments I think it's safe to say that everyone has their own taste and preferences, and different stories will resonate for each of us.
With that being said, I really like both series, but Divergent will emerge on top. The sacrifices Tris had to make were understandable, while Katniss was forced to act based on her situation (which she did quite well!).
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Nath-1412
Reading Device: B07FM1T42H

Post by Nath-1412 »

I prefer The Hunger Games series, I just feel that the ending has more sense and its more complete. Both series have a lot in common actually, but I feel that The Hunger Games it´s my one and only :oops: .
Laknadi Ran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Laknadi Ran »

melissalynn411 wrote: 11 Mar 2014, 10:34 These series are being compared a lot lately, especially with both now being put on the big screen. I'd love to hear about everyone's opinions on these two series, either compared or separately as a series.
I have personally read both series and enjoyed them both. However, I am partial to The Hunger Games. I think Collins did a wonderful job of setting the scene and developing the characters. While, Roth created an amazing alternate realty of the world we already live in, i felt that, at times, there was so much more that needed to be said, described, and explained that she just skipped over. All of the characters, besides the main character, were all incredibly under-developed, in my opinion.
What did you all think?
I couldn't connect with Divergent or finish the books. But I really enjoyed The Hunger Games.
I do see why many people like Divergent, but the characters in it felt just like that, plain characters. The experience Hunger Games brought was different. Katnis was interesting to follow and the only think I disliked about the book was the love triangle, probably because I am not a fan of love trainagles.
And it was really interesting reading what everyone thought about the books. :D
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

The Hunger Games for sure. Divergent series had some interesting elements and I definitely loved it too. The movies weren't very true to the books whereas The Hunger Games followed the books to a t.
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by streetsolo »

I was disappointed by the ending of both trilogies, but I think that altogether, The Hunger Games just has a stronger narrative arc. I think that there was a lot more thought put into the world building and I found I just liked the characters better. I think that Four and Tris might have had a better relationship than anyone Katniss had a relationship to in the story, but overall The Hunger Games world felt a lot more fleshed out. The last book of the Divergent series felt like it was just making things up as it went along.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
Adaya_shukla
Favorite Book: The Lightning Thief
Currently Reading: The Sea of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Adaya_shukla »

Well...First I read the hunger games which I didn't find interesting after the first book...Buy the divergent series is a killer...The plot story about Tris going into dauntless,meeting four,and then the fight for the divergent is really cool...Even thought in the 3rd book allegiant you may cry a lot(not telling the reason cause I don't wanna spoil the fun)but really I prefer divergent to hunger games
Rania anoop

Post by Rania anoop »

Having read both the books and enjoying both I must say that I am slightly towards the Hunger Games side, being able to relate to the unavailability of freedom and not able to reap what you sowed is a different kind of emotion. Hunger games having more plot twists and having a relaxed atmosphere thorouhout the second book brings the reader a sense of assertion. I clearly recommend both books as it is fun to get lost in a complete challenging world.
fortaevers
Currently Reading: Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 394

Post by fortaevers »

I have read both series and for me, I like The Hunger Games more. It was well developed and the ending was so satisfying. Divergent was enjoyable at first until the last book with that kind of ending, it just disappoint me so much.
Amanda Bradshaw
Currently Reading: None Like Him
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: Make Me Exist: A Heart-Pounding Sci-Fi Romance (Lost in Time Book 1) by Brittany Ziegler

Post by Amanda Bradshaw »

I enjoyed the process of reading both series, but I would choose Hunger Games over Divergent. Hunger Games is an eerily potentially real story line. It’s obviously a big leap from our culture today, but I felt more involved in the story because of how possible that situation could be. Also the parallels between the “capitol people” and the very upper class of society made the connection more interesting. Divergent was mostly enjoyable, but just wasn’t as easy to feel close to the story.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”