Official Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heroes of Atlantis" by Ryan Carriere.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere is a fabulously written science-fiction adventure story about a young man, Roeg, who struggles to be accepted by the clan he grew up in. He deeply desires to be a clan hunter. The choice of who is allowed to join the clan’s hunters’ league is made by a designated leader called Krukk. Krukk does not hide the fact that he feels Roeg has not proved himself brave enough to join the hunters. Could this be because Roeg’s birth and roots are shrouded in mystery? There is a parallel story about a young lady, Sephonei, with evolving magical powers. Readers will need to read the book to find out if Roeg and Sephonei’s paths cross in this enthralling story with enough twists to keep readers guessing till the very last page.

Heroes of Atlantis is character-driven, and the characters grow and develop as the plot unfolds. The characters appear natural because they are not perfect, and it is easy to feel empathy towards them. Some words used in the book, such as earflopp’r, saberslash’r, and tucksnort’r, are unusual, but they reflect the genre and the period in which the story was written. They were also written consistently in the short form with omission of the letter ‘e’ wherever they appeared in the book.

The dialogue was consistent, natural, and flowed easily. Black and white illustrations of figures, characters, and scenery are interspersed in the book. They helped me visualize what the author was writing about. The author’s detailed description of the magical and strange creatures in the story also evoked imagery for me.

The themes explored in this book are topical and reflect the bias and prejudice in our society towards people that are obviously different from the majority. Roeg’s blue hair, scarred hands, and the rune he wore on his neck alienated him from the rest of the clan. The power of friendship and team spirit is exemplified in the friendship between Roeg, Tsisa, and Ookum. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because there were several lessons to learn about self-discovery, friendship, mentorship, and forgiveness.

There was nothing to dislike about the story, so I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think it was exceptionally well-edited because I could not find a single grammatical or typographical error which is unusual. I recommend this book to teenagers and young adults who enjoy the fantasy genre and travel adventure stories that involve magic, dragons, and strange creatures. It will make a valuable addition to high school and college libraries.

Heroes of Atlantis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Sometimes, creating a parallel story makes me confused.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a very interesting story, and Atlantis is an appeal for me. Thank you for your recommendation, great review!
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

It sounds like Carriere has created a really interesting universe, and it's nice that it reflects some of the flaws we have in ours. Your review is really good, I'd be interested in reading this book now.
Enjoyreading24
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Enjoyreading24 »

Started reading and loved it. Easy reading. Interesting story.
Butteboyzmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Butteboyzmom »

I disagree there were some errors, I found two major ones and put them in my own review. I do agree that it was action packed and will be loved by the teens he was writing for.
HB
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Sounds very interesting, especially how the characters have to overcome prejudice. Great review. I'm definitely planning on reading it.
LoverOfBooks80
Currently Reading: Heroes of Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LoverOfBooks80 »

Thank you for your review. I enjoy the fantasy genre and am currently reading this book. It’s been a good read so far. :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”