Official Review: Tango Before Breakfast

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Official Review: Tango Before Breakfast

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tango Before Breakfast" by Michel Francois Jacques.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tango Before Breakfast by Michel Francois Jacques is an insightful book about dancing, music, and video productions. The author wrote this installment based on his experiences from his birth country and years of learning after immigrating to the US in 1984. Dancing and training dancers are the author’s passion. He says,” Dance is the architecture of human movements.” The author’s work is a clear indication that nothing is impossible. He demonstrates his achievements and the challenges he has encountered in the dance industry. What I have best understood is that there are grave dangers of learning to dance from non-certified instructors; one can easily break their body parts or even paralyze.

The author is a Haitian-born who tries to encourage people of all races, especially his birth country, that success is nondiscriminatory. Francois has made it clear that Haiti is a poor country, from its vast political instability and natural disasters. As a result, many of the aspiring dancers do not have enough resources (ballrooms, tutors) to display their skills. Jacques trains his trainees with strictness and discipline. He encourages interracial dancing; Americans dance together with the Haitians.

I appreciated a few aspects of this piece. To begin with, Francois included pictures of dancers in various ballrooms showcasing their dance moves. I specifically liked a picture of two students showcasing at Arthur Murray Studio. The author is a pro in the dance department, and his passion and prowess are displayed in this work. Words of encouragement are something you cannot miss in this piece. Any aspiring dancer will find words of inspiration to keep them moving. Furthermore, the language employed was easy to comprehend. Despite a few musical parlance I encountered, whose meanings were explained, the flow was smooth from beginning to end.

There are a few things I disliked about this book. Firstly, it is written in different fonts. Some fonts were so clumsy that reading was an extreme task. In some instances, letters interlock each other, making a reader strain to read a single sentence. I hope the author will have a more polished subsequent edition. Also, towards the conclusion of the book, some pages were empty. In my opinion, that was wasted space, thereby making the publication lengthy.

I encountered grammatical errors and poorly constructed sentences. There were neither profanities nor erotic scenes, even though some dances seemed quite romantic. For the errors and aforementioned reasons, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers in the music and dance industries.

Tango Before Breakfast
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author can address the errors you’ve mentioned. It sounds like he’s passionate about dance and I hope he can more clearly articulate it. Thanks for the honest review
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Booklover Becca wrote: 12 May 2021, 13:20 I hope the author can address the errors you’ve mentioned. It sounds like he’s passionate about dance and I hope he can more clearly articulate it. Thanks for the honest review
The subsequent edition of this book should be spotless; otherwise, his passion and love for dancing is well noted.
Thank you for your comment.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Miriam nkere wrote: 12 May 2021, 06:09 What a great book, dancing is such a beautiful art.
It is a great book. I wish you'd get your hands on it. Thank you!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It's really nice that the author dedicated the book to dance, a phenomenon that unites people. Thanks for the objective review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”