Official Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J. [December 2021 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Official Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J. [December 2021 Book of the Month]

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

The title of this book is captivating. Trying to understand why it's so titled makes you want to read it. I'll love to know more about Cecelia and her power, also on how she wields it. Thanks for the review.
Joab Aine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joab Aine »

Well, for most young adult fiction tales you will come across, Vagabond is really a masterpiece.
I mean, what would be more interesting to a reader than the wave swaying your soul, into Cecelia's world, thanks to the clear way Mary A.J brings out the whole picture. From Cecilia, the Princess of hell, actually being afraid too, to falling in love!
Sweet, isn't it? Don't set your spirit free yet at the sound of romance. She's the Princess of hell. Dark power, magic and evil are not strangers here! She joins a school that has it's own strange and strong secret. Falls in love, has her true identity at stake of exposure!! I want to see where this ends!!
Millene2004
Currently Reading: Chasing the Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millene2004.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Millene2004 »

I would definitely love to read this book. I love paranormal fantasy. Lucifer's daughter in high school? Just the kind of stuff I love to read. Thank you for this review.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This is a super captivating review that explores topics of interest. Congratulations on the book of the day.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I wonder how the devil’s daughter will be able to keep her secret identity for long without being found. I’m curious to read about what her like would be like in Cornelia High. Congrats on BOTD!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Vagabond is a story about Lucifer's daughter who is hiding out in a high school to avoid the demons that are pursuing her. An interesting tale about evil that does not motivate me to read the entire book but the concept is still fascinating. Being a devout Catholic I find the fact Lucifer had a daughter on earth is frightening. While this is fiction the end of days will undoubtedly include these kinds of characters and outcomes. Very good review.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Lucifer's daughter sounds interesting. Her adventures in the human school will certainly not be tame. Thanks for the interesting review.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

As soon as I read that it's about Lucifer's daughter, I knew the book will be very interesting. Sounds very engaging and promising.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I’m intrigued by the idea of Lucifer’s daughter trying to fit in at a human high school only to find out that it’s not completely “normal” either. However, I’m not too big on the love triangle, particular between two guys and the female protagonist; it’s been done to death in many genres, including YA. I get that it’s partly used to represent Cecelia’s internal struggle with human (“good”) and demonic (“bad”) sides, and while that concept is also enticing, I’m worried that it might turn out a bit heavy-handed. Of course, it doesn’t turn me off the book entirely. I’ll give it a try when I have some free time. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Ashley2014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley2014.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ashley2014 »

The characters of the book were as amazing as the entire plot. I've read about Lucifer a lot so reading about his daughter's journey was really refreshing.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Was the school able to find out Cecelia's intent. I'm so inquisitive to know. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Vagabond" by Mary A.J. Centers around Cecelia. Cecelia is a princess of hell, the daughter of Lucifer himself. This is so unique as I've never imagined any author portraying Lucifer as a father. Cecelia goes to high school with the intention of mingling with pure humans, will she succeed?
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

A high school with mystical godfathers would be a scary book to read on. I am curious to read this book, even when I know it is not in my category of books. Good job!
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

It is the gothic structure of the book for me. Congratulations on your BOTD.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really exciting story, with all the emotions that come with coming-of-age novels. I think there are a lot of binaries here (good vs. evil, etc.), and it'd be interesting to see how the story deals with it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”