Official Review: 10 by Neha Gopal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: 10 by Neha Gopal

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "10" by Neha Gopal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a serendipitous meeting at a hospital, Joy writes to Simone in hopes of becoming pen pals. Simone is struggling with her family, her attitude, and life in general. Joy seems to have it all together and sagely offers advice to the floundering Simone. The two strike up a friendship that, though tenuous at times, seems to span the miles.

10 by Neha Gopal is a coming-of-age story that isn’t afraid to broach the hard subjects—depression, self-harm, anger, and living life to the fullest. Due to the mature subject matter, I would recommend this book for teenagers or adults. Parents of teenagers should read this, especially those whose children seem to be going through a “phase.” Be forewarned, though, it isn’t all puppies and rainbows. Though the overall message is positive, if you’re looking for something upbeat throughout, you might want to skip this. As well, the book is poetic. If you like more down-to-earth language, this isn’t the book for you.

I appreciated that the author addressed seemingly taboo topics, especially in a younger generation. It isn’t “cool” to struggle or reach out for help. This book helps to normalize difficulties, even depression.

I also enjoyed that the author started each chapter with a quote. The inspirational sayings added to the story. More than that, they could be used as motivational material for anyone going through a tough time, which just adds to the message the author is trying to convey.

The author also kept me on my toes. I thought that the book was going in one direction, and it would veer off into a different one. As a small word of warning, the book didn’t end the way I thought it would either.

The format is unique for a book. However, that’s not to say it was boring. The author is able to take the letter format and make the characters come to life. By the end, I felt like I knew Joy and Simone. Considering this book is only around 100 pages, that’s a huge accomplishment for the author.

While the positive aspects outweighed the negative, there was a significant issue within the story. There is one word that would sum it up—inconsistent. Joy and Simone are high school students. The vocabulary they use, though, is more advanced than even those in graduate school. On page 10, Joy says, “Soon we began muttering sibylline predictions of weal and woe to each other.” The book does mention that Joy is an aspiring writer, so I might be able to overlook this. However, Simone uses words that are just as obtuse, but she will also say “thingy” or “ain’t.” Honestly, this one issue made the characters feel less than real to me.

I give 10 a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. If the inconsistent language were fixed, I would gladly give this a perfect score. Still, this is a book worth reading with a message we all need to hear.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I really appreciate the author for bringing in light the issues of mental health and self harm. Also I find it really interesting that the author begins every story with a quote. thank you for the wonderful review.🌼🌻
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Priya_Singh wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 16:10 I really appreciate the author for bringing in light the issues of mental health and self harm. Also I find it really interesting that the author begins every story with a quote. thank you for the wonderful review.🌼🌻
It's a story that's worth reading. We all need to be aware of mental health issues. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book has a heavy topic, but I am glad someone gained the courage to talk about such hard themes.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 00:23 This book has a heavy topic, but I am glad someone gained the courage to talk about such hard themes.
I agree. It's a subject we all need to be more aware of. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

The themes addressed are worthy of picking this book for a read. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”