Official Review: Whimsy’s Curse by K.D. Michelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Whimsy’s Curse by K.D. Michelson

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whimsy’s Curse" by K.D. Michelson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whimsy Whitman was cursed with the empathic ability to sense how people she came in contact with would die. Because it made her feel like she was dying herself, it was traumatic and could incapacitate her. Being in close proximity with anyone, even her own family, was problematic. Whimsy confided her problem to a cruel psychiatrist, Dr. Goodrich, when she was a child with dreadful consequences. He hospitalized her with the diagnosis of severe anxiety and forced multiple unapproved medicines and experiments on her, torturing her in the process. Consequently, she has informed no one else of her dark secret and has spent her life homebound and depressed.

After Whimsy had made the unwise decision to go running late at night without notifying anyone, Dr. Goodrich came for a visit, which hurled her into a panic. Soon afterward, she had mysterious visions that demanded she go to New York. She quietly snuck out of the house and took her sister’s car without permission. Upon arriving in New York, the car broke down, forcing her to go searching for help. Whimsy was becoming overwhelmed with passersby’s deaths when she was suddenly bowled over by Beck, who was distracted by his phone. Whimsy noticed he was the person she had encountered in her visions. Her powers seemed to grow stronger the longer she was away from home. Will she be capable of controlling them and using them for good, or will they ultimately destroy her?

Whimsy’s Curse by K.D. Michelson is a 280-page supernatural story with a strong romantic undercurrent. Although the first in the series, it can be read as a standalone novel. The author possesses a remarkable imagination, and her prose is well organized and easy to understand. The slower portions of the story allow us to get to know Whimsy and Beck; these are intermixed with highly suspenseful scenes. My attention was captivated throughout the book. The tale began promptly with action as Whimsy came in contact with the police after going for a run late at night. This caused her to become almost paralyzed as she experienced their deaths. The story is narrated alternating between Whimsy and Beck’s third-person points of view, which helps to understand things from their perspectives. The author’s ability to make you feel what her characters are experiencing is impressive, especially Whimsy. You can sense her panic when she comes close to other people. One can also feel the attraction between Beck and Whimsy. They had their weaknesses, but both grew and evolved as the story continued. Their flaws made them seem realistic.

Unfortunately, there were over ten errors in the story. It could use one more round of editing. In addition, I felt the paragraphs were excessively long. The first one, for example, lasted for six pages. Separating this into additional paragraphs would make it easier to read and comprehend, and it would aid readers to take breaks if they are needed. Because there was absolutely nothing else I didn’t enjoy, Whimsy’s Curse achieves a rating of three out of four stars. If the prior issues are corrected, I think it could easily deserve four stars.

The book was written primarily for young adults who enjoy romance novels with supernatural themes, and they would probably delight in it the most; however, I no longer fit in that age range and still found the novel captivating. Therefore, I think it could be appreciated by older people as well. If the reader doesn’t enjoy romance novels or books about paranormal abilities, they should look elsewhere. There were only two borderline profanities and no explicit sex scenes in the novel; however, there were several descriptions of death. Sensitive readers should be forewarned.

Whimsy’s Curse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love supernatural themes, so I should add this to my reading list. Thank you so much for your recommendation! It seems like we often have the same taste in books :)
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This coming-of-age tale narrates the story of a young girl who was misdiagnosed and wrongfully medicated by a rogue doctor. She flees her home in search of mental clarity, and her problems seem to evaporate the longer she's away from home.
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

Looks like an adventurous story mixed with romance and paranormal ! Thank you for your detailed review! It made me want to read this book as soon as possible.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Wow, a supernatural ability that incapacitates the holder. Intriguing plot here. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 14:19 I love supernatural themes, so I should add this to my reading list. Thank you so much for your recommendation! It seems like we often have the same taste in books :)
I've noticed that before as well. I think you will enjoy this book. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Fireside119 wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 14:29 This coming-of-age tale narrates the story of a young girl who was misdiagnosed and wrongfully medicated by a rogue doctor. She flees her home in search of mental clarity, and her problems seem to evaporate the longer she's away from home.
Her strengths actually grow stronger, which caused new problems. It is a very interesting story. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mahdis Sadeghi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 15:58 Looks like an adventurous story mixed with romance and paranormal ! Thank you for your detailed review! It made me want to read this book as soon as possible.
I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kennedy NC wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:39 Wow, a supernatural ability that incapacitates the holder. Intriguing plot here. Great review.
It was a little different from most books that have protagonists that are able to sense things. Here, she absolutely hates her "curse" as she couldn't see how there could be anything good about it and it causes her pain. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the comments!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the book reminds me somewhat of The Green Mile.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

markodim721 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 13:17 I think the book reminds me somewhat of The Green Mile.
Hmm. Interesting. He did have some supernatural abilities, but they were totally different from Whimsy's. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them!
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Seems intriguing: I just added it to my TBR :) Thank you for the review!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

What a fascinating review. I like the Supernatural and paranormal genre but romance not so much, still thinking of giving this a go since you made it sound so enthralling :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

marba wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 08:39 Seems intriguing: I just added it to my TBR :) Thank you for the review!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Reader-247 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 05:43 What a fascinating review. I like the Supernatural and paranormal genre but romance not so much, still thinking of giving this a go since you made it sound so enthralling :)
There is a lot of romance in it. Thanks for the kind words!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”