Official Review: The Body in the Road

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Official Review: The Body in the Road

Post by Sydney Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Body in the Road" by Donna M. Zadunajsky.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Body in the Road by Donna M. Zadunajsky starts with 17-year-old Sara driving through a storm to get away from home and her ex-boyfriend Brad. She can barely see through all the rain, but she can clearly see that something is in the road. Upon looking more closely, she discovers it’s a body of a girl, though further investigation shows that this body is alive. Preparing to get her help, she turns around only to turn back and discover the body gone. Not wanting to stay out in the rain and seeing there’s nothing more she can do, she gets back in her car and ends up at the town of Craven Falls. She seems to find a home there, but the body in the road doesn’t want to stop haunting her thoughts, strange things start occurring, and Brad might not be too far behind her. Did she make a mistake by staying in Craven Falls?

So this book is the third book in a mystery series, though you do not have to read the previous two books to understand this one. I read it just fine, though I believe there are some references to the previous two books if my research is correct. However, while there might be some spoilers for the two books, I don't think it would ruin the experience of reading them.

I’ve decided to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars for several reasons. The first reason being the multiple errors. Some of it was spelling, but also there were multiple occurrences where I would be reading a sentence and there would be a paragraph break for no reason before the sentence was finished. I also wasn’t fond of the writing style. It seemed choppy at times and there would be several uses of a question mark where there didn’t need to be one.

I also had an issue with how things were described in the book. There would either be too much description and there would be repetitiveness or there wouldn’t be enough in the descriptions. I felt there were a couple of times where Sara jumps to conclusions without much explanation as to how she came to her conclusions, like when she thought Edith might know about why Sara was in Craven Falls -- there wasn’t much explanation as to why she would think that so quickly. There were also many occurrences where the character would think something, then backtrack and wonder why she would think those thoughts. I can see this happening once or twice in a book -- it’s not unusual -- but for it to happen almost every time the character thinks something, it’s too much. Also, I have to note that there was a scene that disregards an earlier conversation without any explanation; that was very confusing.

But I give it my review because I still enjoyed some parts of the book. I liked the mystery portion of the book and there were times that had me nervous for Sara. I questioned some of the decisions that were made by Sara -- she took quite a few risks -- but she is a curious teenager, so her personality sort of fits in with the story. I do like the idea of the story, I just think the execution could have been better. My recommended audience age would be 16 and up due to some graphic descriptions and if the writing were better edited and more smooth, I’d recommend this book to people who like mysteries. But with how the book is now, it wouldn’t be a recommendation of mine.

The Body in the Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vetto
Currently Reading: Poems About Things That Mattered Most
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Vetto »

I love mystery books, despite the book having 2 of 4 I will definitely give it a chance.
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Vetto wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 07:56 I love mystery books, despite the book having 2 of 4 I will definitely give it a chance.
I say go for it! Maybe your experience will be different from mine. Thanks for commenting!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

You back up your ratings properly. When something is described too much, it can be just as bad as not enough description. The story does sound intriguing. Great review!
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 12:30 You back up your ratings properly. When something is described too much, it can be just as bad as not enough description. The story does sound intriguing. Great review!
Thank you so much!
Mevin Nyamache
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: Butterfly awakens
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Mevin Nyamache »

I am a fun of mystery books looking forward to read this one
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Mevin Nyamache wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:45 I am a fun of mystery books looking forward to read this one
I hope you enjoy it!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

The story sounds really interesting yet the errors pointed out cannot be ignored. Thanks for an insightful review.
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Reader-247 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 07:19 The story sounds really interesting yet the errors pointed out cannot be ignored. Thanks for an insightful review.
It was definitely interesting, but it could have been better executed in terms of the grammar. Thank you!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”