Review of Emara's Challenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review of Emara's Challenge

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emara's Challenge" by Monica Flores.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sixteen-year-old Princess Emara of Uthal is at a crossroads in her life. This year is her turn at the Stand, a public ceremony where she will choose between the Joining and the Challenge. It is rare for the women to choose the dangerous Challenge, as it involves leaving the city with a guardian for a year. Most women opt to take a husband and perform the Joining ceremony. However, Emara does not feel sure about being ready for a husband.

Furthermore, Emara, her family, and friends are preparing for the Journey, a yearly voyage young women of age take with their mothers before the Stand. Unexpected events and a man named Ammon make Emara's decision harder. What circumstances influence Emara's decision? Does she turn into the woman she wants to be? What is her final choice?

Written by Monica Flores, Emara's Challenge is a young adult novel consisting of 286 pages. Flores' effortless prose was a pleasure to read, and a professional edited the book pretty well, as I found only two minor errors. The author based her story on the Book of Mormon and selected Native American historical sources, particularly about the Hopewell culture. Her purpose was to explore what life might have been like for a young Lamanite woman.

The main themes of this story are family, self-discovery, love, and tradition. The aspect that I enjoyed the most about this book was how Flores developed and portrayed these topics. Emara has an ideal family that is an excellent role model to young readers because of their stability and strong ties. Her parents are King Gilgal and Queen Suyana, and she has four brothers, of which my favorite is Enon, because of how close he is with Emara. It was great seeing Emara discovering who she is and what she wants in life and how her parents guide her while respecting her decisions. Also, Flores can portray love and intimacy with purity. The scenes in which Ammon is there for Emara when she needs someone the most make the heart skip a few beats.

I also was engrossed reading about the traditions the characters follow in the story. For example, mothers and daughters of age go on the Journey before the Stand every year. The idea is for the young women to spend time with their mothers before they marry or leave the city. During this time together, the mothers teach their daughters about womanhood. The descriptions of other traditions, like the Challenge and the Joining, were fascinating too.

I honestly cannot think of something that I disliked about Emara's Challenge by Monica Flores. I had a great time following Emara's path to womanhood, so I award it 4 out of 4 stars. The book's primary target audience is young adults who are Mormons. However, it reads like historical fiction and a coming-of-age story. On top of that, Emara is a strong female lead, and her family and friends are beautiful people. Even though I am not a Mormon, I loved this story, so I would recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction and coming-of-age stories with strong themes about family, self-discovery, love, and tradition.

Emara's Challenge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

Historical fiction always fascinates me but family and tradition doesn't gel well with me, but this looks different and I might just give this one a try!
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This sounds like a very interesting and eclectic read. I am not Mormon, but it certainly fascinates me how the author intertwined the Book of Mormon and Native American resources. Thank you for an excellent review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

As it is historical fiction and I love reading about royals, I'll give this book a try. And I'm excited to know, who is Ammon and how he makes Emara's decision harder. Thank you for your amazing written review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a really good storyline. And the stage sounds like the biggest decision so it will be very interesting to see what the protagonist opted for. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

This book sounds interesting! Just reading your review has me curious to know more about Emara and her adventure!
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I love historical fiction! Also, the book sounds intriguing and engaging. After reading your review I'm definitely adding it to my list!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I would love to read this after reading your book. Thank you for a detailed review.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Because of its genre, I think I can’t give this a shot. Anyhow, thanks for this fascinating and honest review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”