Review of Mental Health

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Review of Mental Health

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mental Health" by Marzia Fernandez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as a state of complete physical, mental, and social wellbeing and not the absence of disease or infirmity. In the absence of any of the mentioned states, one cannot realize the benefits of optimum health standards.

Mental Health by Marzia Fernandez is a combination of seven books centered on promoting mental health. Stress, anxiety, depression, dementia, schizophrenia, addiction, and trauma are some illnesses discussed by this lengthy read. The factors contributing to these ailments include emotions, behaviors, and thoughts. The environment affects mental health too. The ‘Attachment Theory’ delves into the effects of interpersonal relationships. It emphasizes that a child’s upbringing is a great determiner of a person’s future. Poor parenting prompts self-loathing, which may eventually take a toll on future marriages. What is effective communication? Proper communication is a trait developed through learning. Poor listeners will not realize the fruits of effective communication unless they work on their listening skills. This book aptly discusses the therapeutic means for every mental illness. Psychotherapy is the most discussed method. However, the author embraces that pharmacotherapy is an essential intervention. What is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy?

I love that the book provides an in-depth analysis of every mental disorder. Every ailment is defined, and the clinical symptoms are provided. The steps and guidelines dispensed towards achieving recovery make it easy for the reader to comprehend the therapeutic means. It embraces that human is to err, and, therefore, patients undergoing recovery should not be devastated whenever they fall off the grid. I appreciated the discussion of cortisol, a stress hormone, and the feel-good hormones, such as endorphins and dopamine. It is crucial to understand these hormones since they are responsible for our ‘highs’ and ‘lows.’ The author also reminds the readers that one should embrace that he is sick and ready to receive help for any therapy to work. Due to the misconceptions surrounding Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), the statistics from medical and research institutions showing the effectiveness of the treatment display how vital this intervention is. It is flexible since therapists can tailor the process to meet the needs of any individual. However, patients undergo an assessment before deciding on a suitable treatment option. The book uses few scientific terms, which makes it easy to fathom the message. The rhetorical questions posed often enable the readers to examine their health status.

Other than the inconsistent fonts used for some subheadings, there is nothing that I disliked in this read. It contains nuggets of information for almost every individual needs. Some sections address the treatment and healing process, while others the motivational schemes.

I rate Mental Health four out of four stars based on the positive aspects. The issue of font does not meet the threshold for excluding a star.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to people striving to advance their mental health. Those looking for relationship counseling or motivation will also find this read valuable. I noticed a few minor grammatical errors, and I believe this book was edited by a professional.

Mental Health
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I would like to read this book to learn about the mental illnesses. Thank you for a detailed review!
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I appreciate the definition of health, such a better definition than only focusing on illness. Mental health has always intrigued me, so this book would be of interest to me.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Younger me would be very happy to see this book set.
It tackles everything I wanted to know about mental health and abnormal psychology.
Thank you for your thorough review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

From the concise review on this set of books, this appears to be a very useful resource for anyone working in the mental health field, and for those who may be searching for help on this subject.
Edr
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edr.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Edr »

This sounds extremely interesting. Everyone has needed all this knowledge at some point in life (and more in these strange times). Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I really liked the way this set of books addresses the mental health issues. A very common problem these days. Great review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is amazing how seemingly insignificant things are actually important for the health of every human being. Thanks for the great review.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Mental health is a big issue I'm teem age. Everybody feel lost and alone and that creates anxiety. We need to face it. Thank you for this review and pointing out the issue.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Wow this book deemed to be very crucial. I should definitely give this a try. Our mental health is pivotal in all aspects. Thanks for this great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”