Review of Lander's Legacy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review of Lander's Legacy

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lander's Legacy" by C. S. Wachter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lander Devlin always knew he was different from his peers. None of his friends could turn invisible like him or cast fire from their fingertips. Ian, his grandfather, had made sure that he honed these skills to perfection. Curiously enough, he never bothered to explain the reasons. After Ian’s death, Lander decides to follow his last instruction and visit Castor Elm. Soon after starting his journey, a suspicious man tries to abduct him. Can he escape the pursuer and reach the Elm family unscathed? Will he discover the secrets behind his parents’ untimely death? To know these answers, you have to read Lander’s Legacy, the first installment of the Stone Sovereigns series by C. S. Wachter.

In this refreshing young-adult novel, Wachter merged science fiction with magic and fantasy. The story boasted a unique premise, a twisted plot, and a swift pace. A dash of teenage romance further added to the charm. I loved how Wachter described the scientific basis of aging and anti-aging in a manner that all readers could easily understand. The discussions on the ethical aspects of scientific experiments made me ponder. Should humans feel entitled to control everything as they see fit? Should science advance just for the sake of progress without paying heed to moral issues?

Many of the characters possessed magical abilities, something which was unexpected in a science fiction story. Wachter did a marvelous job of weaving both science and magic into the storyline, deftly avoiding a clash between them. I liked how she revealed the backstory in installments throughout the book. Despite some overlaps and repetitions of the narrative, this tactic ensured that the readers could grasp everything without becoming overwhelmed. Wachter incorporated a few Biblical events in the story, including the great flood and Noah’s Ark. However, the text was inclusive in the aspect of religion, emphasizing what the characters chose to believe.

I loved the diverse range of the characters. Some were overly compassionate, while others seemed confrontational. Wachter repeatedly showed what it meant to have a close-knit family. The characters would go to any length to protect their loved ones, even if that meant negotiating with the evil forces. Their shifting allegiances and questionable actions gave rise to some brilliant plot twists that took me by surprise.

My reading experience was not entirely without complaints. The conversations sounded stilted in places as the dialogues failed to reflect the characters’ inner conflicts adequately. Secondly, I felt Lander’s character lacked any significant growth. However, in comparison with the positive aspects, these issues did not bother me much. The novel ended in a cliff-hanger, making the readers anxiously wait for the next book.

From a technical standpoint, the book had more than ten errors. These included wrongly spelled character names and punctuation errors. Consequently, I rate this 3 out of 4 stars, deducting one star for the editing issues. I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate science fiction. The absence of severe profanities or graphic scenes makes this is a suitable read for young adults.

Lander's Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds very interesting and has a nice cover. Power ad family these themes make for a fab read. I can imagine the protagonist as an Anime character. Thanks for a great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m beginning to like science fiction more than I thought I would. I also love the way that the main character learns to use his “talents”.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoy young adult fiction and the blend of magic, fantasy, and science fiction makes this book even more appealing to me. I'm curious about the plot twists and confrontations you described, so I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the wonderfully informative review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Sounds intriguing- Superpowers along with adventure. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Well deserving rating. You have written the review so nicely that it makes the readers to read it as soon as possible.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The skill of protection is a human nature from very beginning of human existence. The land, and the wealthy nature of human has been a legacy for us. Thank you for this wonderful review.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Wow, this genre has always been my favorite. Adding this book to my shelf is an honor. Thank you for this great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”