Review of Through the Black Rubble

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Review of Through the Black Rubble

Post by Njokime »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through the Black Rubble" by Shashi Uppuluri.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading this book has opened my eyes. It is hard to understand some of the things mentioned in this book, especially if you live in a peaceful country. There is nothing worse than war. It brings chaos and hostility. Through the Black Rubble is a story narrated in the first person by the four oldest sisters, Aleena, Laila, Farrah, and Ayesha, describing their different perspectives of their daily struggles. These four sisters have an infant sister, Safia, who they take turns taking care of. Maman, their mother, is the strongest female any child would ever ask for. The setting of this book is during the Taliban rule before the United States invaded Afghanistan. Each of the stories described by the girls has a sense of fear. They were afraid they might get kidnapped when out, bombed when they attended their hidden classroom or even married off by their God-forsaken father. Each of the young ladies stories shows how they adapt to these circumstances and try to find happiness in each other’s company.

"Women are like beans, and men are like water trying to drown the beans. But when beans and water are heated, the beans become delicious, and water vanishes! Troubles will only make women stronger, while men disappear!" I found this phrase in the book that left me thinking a lot about hierarchy. I do not want to be a feminist, but part of the phrase above is verifiable. I would appreciate a middle ground between women and men, but there can never be because men already feel superior. I think this is because they are afraid that women are stronger than them, and nothing can hold them down. They can take a step back and cry, but they emerge inviolable than ever. That is what I believe. This book may stir up a lot of emotions concerning the topic of Patriarchy. Shashi Uppuluri has done a great job with this book. She is an eleven-year-old author who has managed to write a simple but powerful book that speaks to every woman who thinks they cannot make it. I liked the sayings and phrases in this book. They made the story more enthralling.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. The format was simple, and the story so fascinating, it will capture the reader's attention.

I would highly recommend this book to young adults and adults because they can understand the intensity of this story. I also recommend this book to the advocates of women's rights. Through the Black Rubble is a fictional story, but it has some elements of truth, especially what women go through under patriarchal rule. This book has a few errors, but they did not interfere with my reading or fascination with it.

The storyline in this book is exceptional. The composition of it is simple and easy to comprehend. This book deserves a very high rating, but the errors in it are many. Therefore, I award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Through the Black Rubble
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Black rubble looks like some black magic thriller. The review looks so intense that I feel I will read it definitely.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The book title has something to substantiate at the end. I should give this a try, thanks for this great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”