Review of The Other Side of Magik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of The Other Side of Magik

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Side of Magik" by Michael Lingaard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1066, in the magik world, Harold conquered his enemies to rule over the nation of “Angland.” In another world, a realm void of magik and propelled by science, William is on England’s throne after defeating Harold. Harold should have lost the war in both worlds but found a way to cross into the science world and return with an advantage, the power to nullify magik. The Book of Null was used as the doorway between the worlds. However, since then, the book has been proscribed and seems to be forgotten.

Meanwhile, today, beneath the icy wastes of the North in the magik world, a scribe of the dragon-folk looks into a basalt mirror and sees ripples that speak of the disruption of space and time. Only one conclusion can be drawn from what the scribe has seen. The Book of Null has been found and used again. Someone has opened the doorway between the realms. Who has done this and why? Will he/she succeed in their mischievous plans? What are the repercussions of this act on both worlds? What actions will the mages of the magik world take to thwart the culprit’s plan? Find out the answers to these compelling questions and more in this marvelous piece of fiction named The Other Side of Magik: The First Tale of The Mirror Worlds by Michael Lingaard.

I have read several books this year, and I can say with certainty that this novel easily beats the rest because of its unique storyline. I like how the story started with the writer explaining how the Book of Null helped create a change in the outcomes of the same war in the different worlds, which eventually led to the numerous variations that exist between the realms today. It made me understand how powerful the Book of Null was very early in the story. Because of that, when I read that the book was found by someone and used again, several years after being lost, the hair on the back of my neck stood, and I sensed trouble. I think it’s important for readers to understand the gravity of each conflict in a story, and the author does a good job of introducing the conflict of the story compellingly.

Moreover, I loved the character development throughout the story. The way the author describes the characters, readers would easily connect with them, protagonists and antagonists alike. While I wanted the culprit not to succeed, I understood why they had to open the doorway. However, my favorite characters are Daniel and Gareth. I couldn’t choose between them. The two teenagers are doppelgangers, one from each world, and integral aspects of the culprit's plan. I liked the way they evolved, especially when they were swapped between realms. Needless to say, the author weaved the story into an impressive plot. I wasn’t confused at any point in the sequence of events. Also, the pacing of the book was just right. The way the book ends is also nice to read. It sets the pace for a second book, and I hope to read it soon.

Despite the positives, I found several errors in the text. As a result, I can say that this book is not professionally edited. Additionally, there were several points where I found the use of English difficult to understand, especially when the dragons spoke. I know the author was only trying to differentiate the speech mode of the dragons from that of the humans, but I don’t think it was necessary. It would have been better if the story was told in the third-person narrative at that point. In all, I enjoyed the novel, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction is due to the errors I found. The other thing I complained about isn’t enough for me to deduct any star. People that are interested in fiction books relating to mystery, magic, and alternate worlds would enjoy this novel. I recommend it to them.

The Other Side of Magik
View: on Bookshelves
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

The first paragraph of this review got me to hook already. I like the plot and the storyline. I will just keep this in my "want to read" on the bookshelf. Thank you for the review!
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I like that there are references to real history (such as the Battle of Hastings). This makes the perspective unique. I quite enjoyed reading this review: thank you!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I always find the concept of doppelgangers living in alternate dimensions fascinating. And it's great the pacing and character development was just right.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I'm not really into magic and fantasy but this book grabbed my attention. I might consider reading it. Thanks for the great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The other side of magik is a fiction book that has an interesting line. I would love to know what happened to magik. Great review
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

The beginning line definitely got me intrigued!. Beautiful review, but fantasy genres aren’t really my thing.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

From your captivating review, this book really sound interesting. Magic stories are my thing, i would love to read this book.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

So where does one find a copy of the book of Nul? Thanks for a great review.👌
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”