Review: Love, Stargirl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Review: Love, Stargirl

Post by Sally Balboa »

I feel like Spinelli was kind of forced to write this sequel to Stargirl. It heart just was not in this novel the way it was in the first one. Stargirl did not feel right, and a lot of the scenes felt forced. The only reason I didn't give it two stars, was because of my love for the first book.

Love, Stargirl is told from the perspective of Stargirl Caraway. Our unique heroine returns from her last bust of a high school where she fell in love with Leo, and where he ultimately dumped her. Now she's living somewhere unknown, now homeschooled, and trying to unlove Leo, or at least make it hurt less. With the help of Dootsie -the human bean-, Perry and his harem, and all the thoughtful neighbors and others who soon come to love Stargirl, maybe she can finally get an answer from Leo, about the question she asks every night.

I felt like this book just prattled on about whatever was mildly interesting at the time. Most of the time 'mildly' is a nice way of putting it.

It was nice to see Stargirl live again, to watch her love, and grow. To watch her help others grow.

3 Stars, overall.
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I agree with this review. The first Stargirl book was so unique and she was so quirky and interesting. The sequel left me with a different feeling, not quite right. I don’t think a sequel was necessary and the original book can stand on its own.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”