Review of The Blacktop Kings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of The Blacktop Kings

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blacktop Kings" by Clarence Carter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blacktop Kings by Clarence Carter is the story of a BMX team. Liza, Izzy, Sandman, Garcia, and Red are the members of the team. They are a street BMX team that competes together. Liza named the team after the makeshift practice park that the team created using anything they could find. They call this park The Blacktop. The story follows Liza through the ups and downs of her senior year. The story begins at a party at her friend Izzy’s house. Liza had too much to drink, so Izzy made her pancakes and coffee to sober her up. Liza’s team spends most of their spare time practicing for the next competition. Will they blunder the competition like last time? Or will they win this time and finally get sponsors? Also, Liza has been keeping a secret from her team. Will she finally get the nerve to tell them? Will they think of her the same way once they know here secret?

I enjoyed this book. It is a wholesome story about a bunch of kids from the rough part of town that are trying to find success in something they love. Teenagers will easily relate to the characters in this book. Liza is a strong character with strong opinions. She loves her team and really wants them to succeed. The author does a good job of getting the reader invested in Liza’s story. She and her friends make some bad decisions, but they try to do the right thing. I love the loyalty of this group. They know they can rely on each other.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. The story kept me entertained from the beginning. The story moved at a steady pace, and there were no slow parts. Many teenagers will be able to relate to the drama and friendships in this book. I am no longer a teen, but it brought me back to my senior year. It reminded me of all the fun my friends and I had hanging out, and the hope for the future that the end of high school brought.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written story that gets you wrapped up in the drama. I found only one minor error. Clearly, this book was professionally edited. This was an enjoyable story, and there was nothing that I disliked about it.

I highly recommend this YA novel to teens and adults. Teenagers will enjoy the relatable characters, and adults will be transported back to the fun times and drama of high school. There is a little bit of profanity, but it flows with the story making it more realistic.

The Blacktop Kings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

The fact you saw no negative aspects to this book has spiked my interest in it. The wonderfully structured review you have there too!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I haven't heard of a book about a BMX team. Thanks for a great review. I guess it'll have to go on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 20:17 Interesting. I haven't heard of a book about a BMX team. Thanks for a great review. I guess it'll have to go on my list.
It is definitely a unique story!
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Shedrach19
Currently Reading: Death Ray
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Shedrach19 »

My love for BMX created an interest for this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”