Review of A Prophecy of Wings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of A Prophecy of Wings

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Prophecy of Wings" by Jane McGarry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You grow up hearing fairy tales and you fantasize what it would be like to live in one. Now, imagine if that all came true. This was the case for young Lina. Lina lived an ordinary life with her adoptive parents in a small cottage. When her mother passes away one day, Lina was left to fend for herself. What was supposed to be a quick trip with Winnie turned out to be completely life-changing. She finds herself transported into another world, more specifically, the Fairy World. If that wasn’t enough, Lina learns that she is the daughter of Queen Ivy, the ruler of the Hirundos. She must now restore the Primal Crystal to defeat the evil Queen Dahlia and bring peace to the kingdom once again. A Prophecy of Wings by Jane McGarry will take you on an adventure across the whole Fairy World.

I like that this book wasn’t like all the other fairy tales. There were twists and turns that made it unique. McGarry’s writing made it seem like I was experiencing the Fairy World first-hand. I genuinely liked all the characters McGarry introduced. Each character has their own unique personality that makes you fall in love with them immediately. Out of all the characters, my favourite one would have to be Knox. Knox was a kind-hearted, strong, loving swallow that was always by Lina’s side. He was the only one who truly understood her, and he never underestimated her abilities to achieve something.

There are many important lessons that we can learn from this story. For instance, your home is where the people you love are, and not just a building. In the book, we see Lina slowly adapt to her new surroundings and as readers, we hope that she can eventually call it her home.

The book also teaches readers the importance of treating others the way you would like to be treated. In the story, we see Lina come across many fairies that all look and behave differently. Despite this, she never treats them any differently. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. This is a fun, light-hearted book to read. It includes fairies, magical kingdoms, talking animals and more. At only 276 pages, it is a quick book to get through.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I found no mistakes in the book, so it is exceptionally edited. Due to some instances of violence, I don’t recommend it to really young children. Instead, I believe this book is suitable for children aged 10 and over.

A Prophecy of Wings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Seems like a book I would have appreciated when I was younger. Having read many stories with this kind of narrative I am not sure I will love it now, but it certainly looks like a well-written novel. Thank you for the review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Noone ever is too old to read a good fairy tale! Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Fairy tales are intriguing, I love how they take you to another different world, just like how Lina was transported to a Fairy world with a mission to accomplish. This book is certainly going to my library.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

I’ve always considered fairy tales when I was young. Reading this review made me resonate with how I was enthralled with the different tales I’ve watched and read before. Thanks for this great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”