Review of Gods of Sound

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Review of Gods of Sound

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods of Sound" by QM Schaffer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gods of Sound, by QM Schaffer, is a young adult novel. It starts out as more of a realistic fiction story, but then has some fantasy mixed in. Cameron Foster is incessantly bullied at school, and has trouble making friends. His one solace is playing guitar. He usually just has to put up with the abuse, until one day a mysterious woman he dubs “Leather Girl” starts getting him out of sticky situations. After his mother dies, Cameron is taken to a facility with others like him, who love the guitar. They soon find out they serve a purpose and have a mission to complete. Will Cameron and his new companions be successful?

What I liked most about the book was how relatable Cameron was. I feel like teens reading this book would be able to put themselves in his shoes. In the beginning of the book, he was just a normal kid. He was bullied, and had issues making friends. After his mother’s death, Cameron’s life significantly improved. However, he was still an insecure ten-year-old boy. He worried about making friends, and downplayed his abilities so they wouldn’t feel threatened by him. I felt that his internal thoughts were thoughts many kids and teens have at some point in their lives.

What I liked least about the book was how unrealistic some parts were. I don’t mean the parts of the book that were meant to be fantasy. Obviously magic guitars aren’t real, but they’re important to this story. But, there were instances where I thought to myself, “that would never happen in real life.” For example, Cameron just blindly went on Leather Girl’s motorcycle with her when he didn’t even know her real name or who she actually was. Normal kids wouldn’t do that in real life. Or, Cameron kept having asthma attacks, but never seemed to have his inhaler with him. A child who could potentially stop breathing would keep his inhaler with him. These moments didn’t really detract from the story overall, but they were annoying.

This book was written for a young adult audience, which I agree with. Cameron is definitely a character young adults could relate to. However, there is some profanity and adult topics, so I think it’s best suited for a more mature young adult audience.

I would rate Gods of Sound 3 out of 4 stars. I can’t give it a 4 because there were too many errors in the book. It needs another round of professional editing. However, I wouldn’t give it any lower than a 3 because I really enjoyed the story. I wanted to keep reading, and at one point I was so shocked by what I read I physically put my hand up over my mouth. I haven't read a book that surprised me so much in a very long time.

I would highly recommend this book to those who enjoy a quick read. I hope there’s a sequel to it someday so I can read more about Cameron and his new life!

Gods of Sound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I would really love to know what happened to Cameron and his new companions while reading this book, beautiful review.
Silenteyes_11_6
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silenteyes-11-6.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Silenteyes_11_6 »

I have high hopes of reading this book. I am willing to know about the life adventures faced by Cameron Foster and his school life. School life is a phase almost every individual can relate and plus the side where he overcomes the bullies faced by him.
I do hope this book to turn out quite good based on the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”