Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
using-my-words
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-using-my-words.html

Re: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Post by using-my-words »

When I first read it I had a lot of issues with the ending - I didn't understand how we were supposed to just accept that reality? Katniss seems so miserable even with her underlying attempts at optimism. It took me awhile to realize that was the point.

People die in war. Children, innocent people, soldiers - nobody is safe. Some of the deaths seemed so abrupt and unnecessary but honestly I think that really emphasized the brutality, as well as punctuating the society they've all been raised in. Remember how horrified Katniss was in the first book by the Games? Even before being in them (but especially while being in them) she was stunned again and again by the ruthlessness and horrific violence of the people who were her age and sometimes even younger than her. As the series goes on, though she's still shocked, she seems to sort of come to terms with it, and though she doesn't ever accept it she becomes more resigned. Things horrify her less. It isn't until her friends and loved ones start being murdered that she really seems to be slammed into reality - realising that nobody is safe no matter where she goes. She is surrounded by war even in her daily life.

I think the heaviness of the ending really emphasizes how far she's come but also that sometimes there is no happy ending, and you have to live anyway.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

Glad to know i'm not alone on this one. I also did not appreciate that ending. It was awful, needless to say I cried during most of it.I was on an emotional rollercoaster
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I loved the series and the ending was also fine according to me. It does not have to be a happy ending all the time.
EmmaM123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmam123.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by EmmaM123 »

I finished reading Mockingjay (for the first time) when I was 13/14, and I swear I cried for at least an hour afterwards. That ending really got to me, I think it was probably my first experience with a book that really didn't have a properly happy ending, and it really stuck with me. I did like the ending though, I thought it was satisfying, if a bit unexpected, it shows that the impacts of a war don't end when the war does.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I feel the idea is that we need to accept that we can change the world but we have to be ready to lose in the way (Prim), that we can get heal after being harm (Peeta), and that we need to remember who do we want to be and what lines we don’t want to cross (no as Gale).
The story ends in a really bitter way, but I feel it makes it much more “realistic”. Katniss challenges the government, put everyone in risk, takes part in a war… it would be disappointing if everything end up with a “and all they lived happily ever after”.
I think the last moment, with Katniss and Peeta together, is a symbol of “love can grow when you get someone that really understands you, that really support you, that really wants to put you first”. I think this series has one of the best endings of the series I have read.
saba kukuladze
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by saba kukuladze »

I agree, it made me cry to. Book ending was deep, full of sorrow, grief, regret, but also love and hope.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I was also disappointed by the ending of this series, but I can’t say I think it was a bad ending. I agree with lots of the comments that the authors intention was likely to show that life isn’t fair; sometimes tragedy continues. It is hard to feel only happiness after so many hardships have taken place. I think Peet’s and Katniss are able to find peace with one another, and maybe that’s all any of us can ask for. I will say, I was disappointed to read that she chose Peet’s because she felt he deserved to be chosen, and not because of her undying love and commitment to him. But then again, even with the love triangle theming, I don’t think this story was meant to be primarily a romance, but a deeper reflection on humanity and the impact of tragedy and oppression.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”