Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jcluvxexe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Post by Jcluvxexe »

I felt the same way when I read the last book to the Hunger Games. I was reading the book so fast that the part when Prim died hurt me and I had to go back and make sure that I read it right. She did die and Katniss started this because of her. Peeta did change everyone changed. The way that I saw how could you not changed after losing so much. It was like the things that made you, you was no longer possible. You had to find other ways to survive. I was glad that Peeta and Katniss did get together but they lost so much. The ended was a hollow for me and it left me feeling empty, like there's so something else that is missing.
leila23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila23.html

Post by leila23 »

Jcluvxexe wrote:I felt the same way when I read the last book to the Hunger Games. I was reading the book so fast that the part when Prim died hurt me and I had to go back and make sure that I read it right. She did die and Katniss started this because of her. Peeta did change everyone changed. The way that I saw how could you not changed after losing so much. It was like the things that made you, you was no longer possible. You had to find other ways to survive. I was glad that Peeta and Katniss did get together but they lost so much. The ended was a hollow for me and it left me feeling empty, like there's so something else that is missing.
Maybe that was the reason why the book ended the way it did. When you lose someone you end up feeling empty, so maybe it ended the way it did to represent the emptiness that Katniss felt. Maybe she was fighting even at the end. Fighting to stay alive and to live after all the lose she went through.
jayclark1307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jayclark1307.html

Post by jayclark1307 »

The ending of Mockingjay really upset me. It was nice that Katniss and Peeta ended up together, but Peeta wasn't the same as he used to be. Also I was upset that so many of the characters died. I did not want Finnick or Prim to die, but they did
boireannach
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boireannach.html

Post by boireannach »

I think the ending to Mockingjay summed up the entire series in a beautiful way. I think it was a very happy ending considering what they had to go through to get there. I have put myself in Katniss's shoes many times, and even Peeta's, and I cannot see myself making such a comeback as they did. I've been through many traumatizing things, and I think that this is a clear statement that you can get through those things. That even though life is tough and it changes you, that you can't go back to who you were before the war, you are deeply changed by the things you see and live through and there's no going back to who you were once you've sen them. I also think that it allowed for the possibility of finding some happiness afterwards, that not everything is dark and gloomy, yes it will always effect you and your thought process/behavior, but that it does not completely destroy everything. I found it to be a very good conclusion and very full of hope.
Meggannakoff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggannakoff.html

Post by Meggannakoff »

To me, the ending kinda felt really rushed. I adored the rest of the series and even the rest of Mockingjay but from the point of Katniss being burned and onwards felt like the author had hit her deadline and had to write the rest in a hurry. It made me really disappointed because other than that, the Hunger Games is one of my favourite series of all time. The ending was just unsatisfying :(
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one that was depressed. Not only had I gotten so attached to Katniss and what she stood for, but the ending actually angered me a little. Did anyone else get mad about her being with Peeta and not Gale? After a while I finally realized that it was probably for the best because only Peeta could completely understand everything she has gone through. He understands her. Regardless, I could read this series over and over for the rest of forever.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

It wasn't a very satisfying end. After everything, Katniss gave up and lived out a mundane existence. I did like that the book didn't have a happy or sad end because they've all been through so much. Katniss lost everything but the one person with whom she had suffered with through thick and thin. There was no one else for her but Peeta. He was with her and he understood her. Finnick's death was completely pointless though. After everything he had been through for so long, he only got such a brief happiness. His death was the one I was most upset about. The guy didn't even know that he was going to be a father. Just like Katniss and Peeta, Annie needed him and he needed Annie. In the whole series, it was Finnick's character I loved the most. While Katniss suffered under Snow for a few years, Finnick suffered even longer and yet, he didn't break down. He adapted and made use of his situation for the future.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I skimmed through the last book, and I didn't bother to actually read Mockingjay, unfortunately. I just didn't think that it was deserving of my time right now, and I would read it in the future. That was years ago, when it first came out, and I STILL haven't read it! I just don't think that it was a good ending, and I think that it could have been better.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
oxalis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oxalis.html

Post by oxalis »

I did the same thing, I read all three books in three days and when it was over I couldn't stop thinking about how unsettling the ending was. Gale and Peeta had a conversation once about who Katniss would pick and Gale said Katniss would pick whoever she thinks she can't survive without. Did she just pick Peeta because of how Gale was associated with Prim's death? Throughout the book there was a sense that she would pick Peeta and I think he was back to his old self enough for her to be with him, I think he proved that when he planted the primrose plants outside of her house. The way Katniss and Peeta were sentenced to death in the games and miraculously survived because of each other I think Peeta was always who Katniss couldn't live without physically and mentally.
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

It was so disappointing and tragic with every sense of the word! I mean I know Collins had to do something dramatic, but kill PRIM!!!! Come on.... I started reading the series before anyone knew about it and I had to wait for each book to come out so watching, hearing, and reading this series again is in a way heartbreaking because no matter what good things I see happen or are talked about I still know how it ends... That's the bittersweet part of finishing a book. You rush to the end and then wish you were back at the beginning again.
cnicholas

Post by cnicholas »

I believe for most readers of this beloved series the ending was a disappointment. Unfortunately people have to remember this was a war. Is there ever a happily Ever After, after a war even in some small way everyone is effected. Snow was trying to maintain power so his greatest weapon was to bring down the Mockingjay. One of Katniss's biggest weaknesses is trying to save the people she loves (peeta). When he came back she would embrace him with open arms. Peeta would never be the same after the war any way. After the Hunger Games the both has PTSD. It's a phenomenal they got together in the end of the book with all the issues they had.
What I didn't appreciate was that Gale and her mom basically abandoned her. Yeah I can understand them taking the jobs so they wouldn't have to go back home but to not even visit her in the hospital when she was recovering is something else. Also it shows how poor the government there and in our own world have a lack of respect for veterans. Her family and the government after she helped save them leave her on her own.
Overall it was truthful in a dystopian world account of war. I just though it felt a little rushed.
pinkmoon6337

Post by pinkmoon6337 »

I thought the ending of Mockingjay was actually pretty satisfying. It was a truthful ending to a dystopian book because it shows that in war no one is left unaffected and even the strongest are broken. I think Collins did a great job showing the affects that war had on all the characters, but especially Katniss and Peeta. Neither one are the same as they were when we meet them in the first Hunger Games book I was happy that Katniss and Peeta did end up together because they balance each other out and understand each other in a way that no one else can because they went through two games together and the war. I personally think Gale and Katniss are too much alike for them to have been together. Overall, I agree that the ending was a little rushed and I wanted it to be longer, but it was still a great end to a great series.
surprise_its_em
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surprise-its-em.html

Post by surprise_its_em »

I really actually loved the ending. To me, it seemed like she had, finally after all this time, confessed her love for Peeta. A lot of people thought that Gale would have been better to her, but to me it made sense to put her with Peeta. Gale was like the secret antagonist. He was trying to make her choose between two people she loved in a time of war. I could see how the ending was horrible, but it left you room to think your own ending. Sometimes to me that is the best ending. :D
kanehadden

Post by kanehadden »

The end of this book hit me harder than any other book because I had become so attached to the characters and they all pretty much died but katniss did have kids with peeta which is what I wanted throughout the entire series so that is a plus I guess :D
Bubamdk2
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bubamdk2.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Bubamdk2 »

I loved the Hunger Games and, much like everyone else, sped through the books at record time. Although the ending of Mockingjay left me, literally, sitting in a chair for several minutes with an open mouth while I tried to recover from the ending, I understood why things ended the way they did. They survived a war! People can't just "get over" that kind of experience. Additionally, they didn't just survive the war, they had to live through the Games which impacted them both in extreme ways. I think that given what they lived through, seeing Katniss and Peeta end up together and try to live the rest of their lives out as best as they could was the most I could have hoped for. The future - for their daughter - will be better.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”