Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rueneyl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rueneyl.html

Re: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Ending (SPOILERS)

Post by rueneyl »

although the ending can seem quite depressing, i do not think it would have been in keeping with the series if they had skipped off into the sunset smiling and care free. i dont think that would have suited katniss and peeta as a couple, especially after thier struggles. I did feel a touch depressed, but then Katniss and Peeta sacrificed thier lives for future generations- which is a happier ending than i could have hoped for (considering in the first book i thought one of them would have to die!)
Gynxie_Masters
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gynxie-masters.html
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden

Post by Gynxie_Masters »

Honestly.... I was angry at the ending of the book. (Granted it has been a while since I have read the series). However; I remember thinking "You are seriously going to end this book with 'and Peeta and Katniss live happily (for lack of a better phrase since they are obviously disturbed after all their heartache) ever after"?! It was so cookie cutter and rushed.

I felt as if there was so much to read in all the books and then at the end there was no detail. Just 'The End'. I was rather disgusted for a while because of the events that lead to the ending and then the abruptness of the ending.

These books had me so full of emotions with their wins and losses. I loved every single thing down to the description of Snow's breathe. But that ending... There are not enough words to express my disappointment.
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden
quill_begotten
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Four-A Divergent Collection
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quill-begotten.html
Latest Review: "The Divide" by Richard Green
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by quill_begotten »

Gynxie_Masters wrote:Honestly.... I was angry at the ending of the book. (Granted it has been a while since I have read the series). However; I remember thinking "You are seriously going to end this book with 'and Peeta and Katniss live happily (for lack of a better phrase since they are obviously disturbed after all their heartache) ever after"?! It was so cookie cutter and rushed.

I felt as if there was so much to read in all the books and then at the end there was no detail. Just 'The End'. I was rather disgusted for a while because of the events that lead to the ending and then the abruptness of the ending.

These books had me so full of emotions with their wins and losses. I loved every single thing down to the description of Snow's breathe. But that ending... There are not enough words to express my disappointment.

I did feel that the ending seemed rushed and very short and abrupt as well. I had forgotten about that but when I look back on it that was something else that had bothered me!
Latest Review: "The Divide" by Richard Green
Rizmatiz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizmatiz.html

Post by Rizmatiz »

I agree that the ending felt a little rushed. So much happens in the last book (no wonder they're making it into two movies). I have a lot of friends who were angry Katniss didn't end up with Gale. I appreciate that Katniss ends up with Peeta. It is sad and depressing, but there's also a glimmer of hope. Peeta has changed. Katniss has changed. Gale isn't the same either. They experienced terrible things and they can't go back to who they are. But they Katniss and Peeta still ground each other like how they used to sleep together to keep nightmares away. There's hope there. I wish that the epilogue would have been a little longer to help the readers feel a little more closure and wrap our heads around it as well. I get where Collins went with the story, but as I quickly flipped through the final pages I was also left with the..."That's It?!?!" I wanted more. I think the fact that we all had such strong reactions means Collins did her job. It'll be interesting to see how they capture the ending in the movie and if seeing it brought to life will help.
crazy reader

Post by crazy reader »

Not happy with this series! Very depressing as many have mentioned. I read this series and my son read the books after me. He had the same response. He didn't finish the last book! The movies are just as bad. I saw the first and I won't waste my time to watch the others. I was actually shocked they made the movies. I think it was just the hype the books were getting that they went ahead to produce the movie.
thereadingpanda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereadingpanda.html

Post by thereadingpanda »

I thought it was incredibly depressing, but it was well written and realistic, which is something I appreciate.
Thomas Tham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomas-tham.html

Post by Thomas Tham »

I think it was an appropriate ending since this isn't about the lovey dovey story of a girl and two guys. This is a story about a girl trying to her best to survive and save her family which she failed. I think this is how normal people are supposed to act if they have been through what she and peeta have been through. It may seem dark but that's life, nothing about it is fair.
siobhan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siobhan.html

Post by siobhan »

i hated the end of the book. i felt for such a great series the last book was a let down
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I so enjoyed the Hunger Games Trilogy, but when I got to the end I was SO DISSAPOINTED. I felt like the whole thing was a cop out and didn't even fit the story! She never really loved Pita. Over the course of the book she turned into a strong woman. A strong woman makes choices that makes her happy, and she never seemed happy with Pita. It was like she just settled for a normal, comfortable life because that was the easier choice since she had already been through so much and wanted to avoid any and all kinds of trauma the rest of her life. But Gale loved her too, and the thing is she really really loved him too. So wouldn't settling for the man you sort of love eventually be a form of trama in knowing you let the man you really loved get away? I just didn't get it. And I hated it. I feel like my eight year old brother could have written a better ending to the series.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I am reading this right now, just reached the part where they free Peeta. Up until reading this thread, I've been rooting for Peeta to end up with Katniss the entire time!
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
ashleyalanarx90
Favorite Author: H.G. Wells
Favorite Book: Alice.s Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: March
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyalanarx90.html

Post by ashleyalanarx90 »

Mockingjay was actually my favorite of the three books. Don't get me wrong, I love a happy ending, but I don't think a happy ending would have fit in with the rest of the series. The time they live in is dark and depressing. Katniss and Peeta end up together because only they can help each other through this time. The time Katniss spent with Peeta along with events that happened after she arrived at 13 changed her relationship with Gale into something that could never be the same. She's been protecting Peeta ever since the games, just as he helped her out as a child. His family is gone. Her family is either gone or scattered across the country. They overcame Peeta being brainwashed against her. They need each other, not for love, but for support, for friendship, and to make it through life without committing suicide. It's as happy an ending as one will find in Panam, or that's what I believe at least.

Ashley
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

Mockingjay was really sad, I felt the same way too, it was like I couldn't get settled after that book for a long while. It's still my favorite series though, and I think the ending was right for the story.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I felt let down by the ending. I felt like Katniss only ended up with Peeta because she 'had' to, not because she actually wanted to be with him. But I also feel like it would have been unrealistic if there had been a fairy-tale ending, because the series was not like that: the series was harsh and cold, and really it couldn't have ended any other way.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
leila23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila23.html

Post by leila23 »

I didn’t really like the ending to Mockingjay, because, although this wasn’t a romance series, I felt that Katniss and Peeta’s romantic relationship at the end was too rushed and forced. (Although it has been a while since I’ve read the whole series.) I wished the ending was longer or more detailed, but maybe it ended the way it did because it represents the trauma Katniss went through. However, the revolution led to Katniss wanting to have children when she didn’t want that at the beginning of the series, so despite everything her and Peeta went through, it wasn’t for nothing. They were able to create a world of hope for their children.

I think that Katniss didn’t end up with Gale was because it was his idea (his hunting strategy that he gave District 13) that led to the death of her sister.
Lenerd24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenerd24.html

Post by Lenerd24 »

The ending did suck a little, but not for who Katnis ended up with, just that she quit fighting.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”