Review of Rocky Truths

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of Rocky Truths

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rocky Truths" by Rho Brooks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raquel Roberts, known as Rocky, is in her senior year of high school. She has a full scholarship to Camden and is planning to major in chemical engineering. From the outside, it seems she has her life together. There's only one thing holding her back from achieving her dreams: Her father left her and her mother when she was young. Feeling abandoned, Rocky feels she must care for her mother. Her mother doesn't discuss her father, but Rocky feels drawn to understand why he left them. When she starts to research, she discovers more than she bargained for. It seems he wasn't who he appeared to be. Will Rocky be able to uncover the truth? What path will this knowledge lead her down? Why is her mother reluctant to discuss him?

Rocky Truths by Rho Brooks is a young adult novel. Though a coming-of-age novel, there's plenty of mystery and suspense to keep even the most wandering mind engaged. The first in the Striking Lotus series, the ending will leave you with more questions than answers. Therefore, if you don't like cliffhangers, I would advise avoiding this book.

I enjoyed this novel immensely for several reasons. The first is the sense of nostalgia it imparts. The author conveys the emotions of the characters in an authentic manner. It evoked memories of my high school days; I remembered thinking about leaving my friends. I remembered the adventure of going to college and meeting new friends. The fact that the author does this all in a descriptive manner only adds to the appeal. On page 100, the author states: "But Rocky was drunk on a daydream of freedom and change." It was all very realistic, which made it an enjoyable read.

I also appreciated that this wasn't just a simple book about changes. There's mystery, suspense, and twists and turns you won't see coming. Themes of abandonment, independence, and friendship are addressed. The plot is complex enough to interest adults but simple enough to be appropriate for a younger audience as well.

The main drawback to the novel was the errors. I found enough to state that the book was not professionally edited. However, they weren't overly distracting. They mostly consisted of simple typos like "Ito" instead of "It." This shouldn't be a reason to not read the book.

Worth mentioning also were a few instances that brought me out of the story. The first was that Rocky seems to win often. However, this does happen in real life. Furthermore, there were instances where Rocky searches for people online and finds them right away. Having searched for people myself, I know this is unrealistic. Yet, there wouldn't be a book if she didn't find anyone she was looking for. These were few and far between and are easily overlooked.

I rate Rocky Truths by Rho Brooks 3 out of 4 stars due solely to the lack of professional editing. I would recommend the book to those that enjoy clean mystery novels regardless of age. Young adults facing major life changes will be able to relate to the characters within the novel. Older adults will enjoy remembering times past.

Rocky Truths
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

It'd be interesting to know the truths Rocky discovered about her father. Great review. Bravo!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you, I loved reading your thorough and engaging review! I feel like I should add this book to my list :)
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I agree with you, it seems unrealistic to easily find everyone you're searching for online. Great review!
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Being abandoned has a greater consequence that may hinder the child in many aspects of their life. I would like to read this book to know the fate of Rocky. Great review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Raquel Roberts sounds like an interesting character
Great review🍀
:tiphat:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kingsley Emodi wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 03:08 It'd be interesting to know the truths Rocky discovered about her father. Great review. Bravo!
It's definitely not what I expected. A very enjoyable book. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the next one.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nonso Ok wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 12:45 I agree with you, it seems unrealistic to easily find everyone you're searching for online. Great review!
I wish it were that easy. There are still some people I'd love to find. Ah well. It's still a good book. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 09:43 Thank you, I loved reading your thorough and engaging review! I feel like I should add this book to my list :)
It's a good one. I highly recommend it if you enjoy clean books with mystery and some suspense. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

collinsogw555 wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 14:58 Being abandoned has a greater consequence that may hinder the child in many aspects of their life. I would like to read this book to know the fate of Rocky. Great review.
Rocky is a very resilient young lady. She is also very curious. It's an interesting combination. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Humera955 wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 04:24 Raquel Roberts sounds like an interesting character
Great review🍀
She can be a very persistent person when she wants something. It makes for an enjoyable book. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Mystery and suspense are exactly what I love in a book. I would like to read more about Rocky's adventures. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This novel sounds like my type of read! Id love to join Rocky on her journey and discover who her father is as well. Great review! :D
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Niens Now wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:23 Mystery and suspense are exactly what I love in a book. I would like to read more about Rocky's adventures. Thanks for a great review.
I'm very interested to know what happens after the close of this book. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 12:02 This novel sounds like my type of read! Id love to join Rocky on her journey and discover who her father is as well. Great review! :D
I really enjoyed it. I wanted to learn about her father, but it also brought back memories of high school and college. Fun times. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”