Review of If Time Stood Still

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review of If Time Stood Still

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If Time Stood Still" by Paula Marie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We’ve all thought about the possibility of going back to the past and changing it. But Summer Thompson actually has the chance to do it. The first time Summer breaks the rules and has a party in her parents’ absence has disastrous consequences. In her sorrow, Summer meets a brooding stranger that can offer her the opportunity of going back in time and correcting her mistakes. But should she? And who is Chris, the stranger? If Time Stood Still by Paula Marie is a YA novel that follows sixteen-year-old Summer who, when her life is upended, is forced into a path of exploring new aspects of herself, discovering family secrets, and experimenting with her relationships, which will lead her to life-altering revelations.

There’s much to praise in this novel. First, I want to mention that I rarely read sci-fi. I don’t have a science-oriented brain, and the physics details that these novels usually include baffle me and bore me. Thankfully, the author keeps time-travel concepts simple and understandable without falling into info-dumping, but while also keeping the plot coherent. The narrative of this novel is outstanding. Summer’s inner monologues were like hearing myself talk when I was a teen, and the dialogues are authentic. Furthermore, the pacing of the plot is flawless: the author never falls into the dreaded plot slumps, but she doesn’t overwhelm the reader with non-stop action either. Honestly, this is one of the most balanced reads I’ve read in that regard. Likewise, the author scores another hit by creating a harmonious, fascinating blend of romance, sci-fi, coming-of-age, and adventure. Additionally, I want to applaud that the author keeps the book age-appropriate. This is a YA novel, and Summer is almost seventeen years old, which means some adult topics are approached, but Paula Marie doesn’t go over the top with profanity or sexual references. Finally, the imagery and action scenes of this book would make a fascinating movie (please, Hollywood!)

Only two flaws hinder this marvelous novel from being flawless. First, there are a ton of editing mistakes that could’ve been easily prevented. The vast majority of them comprise unnecessary spaces in between words and punctuation marks. Second, the book ends in a drastic cliffhanger. On the one hand, I’m happy this means there’s a second installment coming because I enjoyed the novel immensely, but I can see how this can bother readers like me that need a sense of closure when finishing a book.

Every literary aspect of this novel is perfect: a relatable plot, even pacing, impeccable character development, and realistic dialogues. Unfortunately, the editing mistakes and the abrupt ending prevent me from giving this book a perfect score. Therefore, I rate If Time Stood Still by Paula Marie 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this novel to teenagers and adults alike who enjoy romance, adventure, sci-fi, and coming-of-age novels. However, this is not a classic tech-filled, physics-focused sci-fi novel nor a typical fairy tale romance, so I would not recommend it to readers who need novels to follow a traditional genre pattern. Readers who can’t stand a sudden cliffhanger might feel frustrated with the novel.

If Time Stood Still
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areeba M »

A sci-fi novel that doesn't suffer from info dumping? Sounds like my cup of tea.
I love time travel stories. All those possibilities of what-ifs make these kind of stories a fascinating read.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This novel would have absolutely enchanted me when I was younger! Thank you for the review ;)
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Mistakes makes reading books a bore. The author should work on this. Thank you for your amazing review.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Nonso Ok wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:05 Mistakes makes reading books a bore. The author should work on this. Thank you for your amazing review.
I should've mentioned that these minor mistakes hardly diminish the reading enjoyment unless one is especially persnickety. But I hope the author fixes them. Thank you for your kind comment.

marba wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:06 This novel would have absolutely enchanted me when I was younger! Thank you for the review ;)
Don't let the YA category deter you. I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm way over 30!
Thank you for your comment!

Areeba M wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 09:41 A sci-fi novel that doesn't suffer from info dumping? Sounds like my cup of tea.
I love time travel stories. All those possibilities of what-ifs make these kind of stories a fascinating read.
It's fascinating. And I can't stand info-dumping, either.
Hope you enjoy it! Thank you for your comment!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Romance? Check. Coming-of-age trope? Check. Sci-fi? Double-check! This book has facets that I am very fond of, making it a shoo-in for my TBR shelf. I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Asma Asma 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asma Asma 3 »

This novel is totally about romance,,,,I just want to read this novel at the age of teens,,,,,
"It sounds like my cup of tea in winters"
It is just awesome,,,,
I just love this type of novels.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A pity about the abrupt ending. Yet it sounds like a great story. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Niens Now wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 02:03 A pity about the abrupt ending. Yet it sounds like a great story. Thanks for a lovely review.
Even with the abrupt ending, I enjoyed it immensely.
Thank you for your kind comment!

Asma Asma 3 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 22:10 This novel is totally about romance,,,,I just want to read this novel at the age of teens,,,,,
"It sounds like my cup of tea in winters"
It is just awesome,,,,
I just love this type of novels.
I hope you enjoy it! :techie-studyingbrown:
Thank you for your comment.

Kelyn wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 19:46 Romance? Check. Coming-of-age trope? Check. Sci-fi? Double-check! This book has facets that I am very fond of, making it a shoo-in for my TBR shelf. I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
I know! It has everything and the genres are blended seamlessly. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you! :D
Nkosingiphile D 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nkosingiphile D 3 »

It's an amazing book...it get the heart beating again with all the romance in it which is just a tip of the iceberg...i would definitely recommend it to someone else
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I've always tried to read a decent sci-fi novel but it always left me uninterested after a few pages. But reading your review has somehow made me to give this one a chance. Amazing review, thanks!^^

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”