Ruin and Rising (Grisha Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Viviana_Ortiz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviana-ortiz.html

Ruin and Rising (Grisha Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo

Post by Viviana_Ortiz »

I don’t know where to start. Ruin and Rising was one of the most anticipated book for me. When I finally got my copy, I was overjoyed and a bit nervous to finally learn the Darkling's name( *sighs*), and everything that will happen to end the series. I was so not disappointed. In this book everything that happen on Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm click together, every question was answered ( in the most unexpected way). The story of Morozava was the most shocking, thou I wasn't that off about the connection between him and the Darkling.
And now that I mention the Darkling I wasn't disappointed one bit about everything he did (thou he wasn't that present like that last two books). And his name, Love it, so common but makes him look more human. I know he can be a “monster” but that’s the only way he knows what to be. I love his somewhat redemption in the end. Oh and did I mention who hot he is ,no, well HOT!!!
Now, to Mal. What can I say, I felt for him, such a splendid ( and a bit martyr) soul. To learn what he truly has, it made complete sense. I was so sad to learn what happen to him that I almost couldn't finished reading R&R; but then again, I wanted more to know how Alina will react. I was jumping and screaming like a crazy person as I read the “miracle” produced in Mal. I may have fallen for Mal, but the Darkling will always be in my heart (like in Alina’s).
Nikolai, man was I so not expecting that to happen to him, but wow he’s such a fighter and cocky to the end. You just have to love him.
Alina, I love to see the changes and growth she has gone trough over the course of the three books specially in this one. She was awesome, great heroine.
I took my time reading Ruin and Rising because I wanted to savored every feeling, event, outcome, change, learning, everything about it. I was absolutely delighted with the writing, well the story itself. I loved everything Bardugo writes. Prior to reading this final book, I read the first to book again( for like the fourth time) and the short stories accompanying the Grisha Trilogy. She is an amazing writer with the ability to transport the reader to a whole new level of satisfaction. She was gifted and blesses by the Saints. This book exceeded my expectations.
I won’t say more or I will end up discussing every aspect of the story and more (which will spoiled everything for those who haven’t read it) YOU MUST READ IT, HEAR ME (or is it read me?).JUST READ IT.
I have only one word for this book UNFORGETABLE. 5 are not enough, will give it an 8 (one of my favorite numbers) Stars.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the first book in the series and liked it. I plan to read the other books as well. I am glad to hear the third book is as good as the first and the second books. Thank you for the review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Viviana_Ortiz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviana-ortiz.html

Post by Viviana_Ortiz »

No problem Gali, hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did. One of my favorite series.
carrielee0718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrielee0718.html

Post by carrielee0718 »

I'm honestly confused that more people aren't talking about this book and this series in general!

To me, the writing, characters, story arcs, EVERYTHING was better in this series than Hunger Games <<there, I said it!>>. I never liked how Suzanne Collins seemed to end every chapter with an overly dramatic cliffhanger, but Leigh Bardugo isn't trying to play those silly games. She is too busy crafting a story that is unpredictable and will leave you guessing to the very end. I couldn't tell who Alina was going to end up with, I couldn't tell who was going to live or die, I couldn't predict ANYTHING. Seriously, I can't give Ms. Bardugo enough praise for writing a cohesive trilogy which truly leaves the reader satisfied in every way!

I am so happy to have discovered this wonderful author and I can't wait to see what else she comes out with! I'm excited to meet other characters in the Grisha-verse!
Kamehamaggie

Post by Kamehamaggie »

I'm totally sad it's over. I loved this series. After I finished I definitely got that feeling of life being just a little bit emptier now - which means it was an excellent read.

What do I do now?
Lakshmitambe

Post by Lakshmitambe »

If I could, I would run around throwing these books at people like confetti, screaming READ, READ and REJOICE!

Yes, it brings out the crazy in me. Yes, it was a WONDERFUL finale to a much, much anticipated series. I will be forever grateful to Ms Bardugo, for bringing out the imperfections in the Darkling, without which, my life would have no meaning in his absence.

I am going to be honest here - I do NOT like the Alina/Mal relationship. I feel like there are subservient, submissive undertones to it. I'm glad this book brought Mal some closure, I'm glad he started to give a little, but Alina could be so much better off.

Which brings me to Nikolai - Holy COW. He has to be one of the HOTTEST characters I've read in such a long time! And what happened to him was heartbreaking. I will forever, forever, be his loyal subject; regardless of any residual 'darkness'.

Most heartbreaking part of the book though? Bhagra. Nuff said, for fear of spoilers. READ THIS BOOK!
Emmers00
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmers00.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Emmers00 »

How do I even start with this book. Since I read it last summer the feelings are not as violent as they were at first but i can honestly say it still hurts. The storyIt’s a classic adventures/quest with a large company of friends, its really slow until about page 79 when they leave the white cathedral. Its a mix of really stressful, sad and funny situations.

Mal I loved Mal so so so much. MALINA MY OTP 5-EVER. No joke. SO many people don’t like Mal because he’s “boring” next to the mysterious, seductive Darkling, and the lovable, mischievous Nikolai. Seriously people if you’re looking for an abusive relationship with a creeper read twilight, and Nikolai is adorable he’s one of my favorite characters but he’s not for Alina you know? The scar on Alina’s palm came from a broken cup that she accidentally drove into her hand when she was young at the sight of Mal coming home, she would make herself bleed and not even feel the pain for him. He thinks he doesn’t deserve Alina because he’s too boring, too average ots’katzya. “You were meant for more than me, and I’ll die fighting to give it to you. But please don’t ask me to pretend it’s easy.” *swoons* *dies* Mal believes that he will never be with Alina thinking that he gets a tattoo that means “I am become a blade” I can’t find the page but he explains that even though he is not like Alina he will become a weapon to fight for her safety, even if that's all he is to her. Also they just love being with each other there are several very well written parts of the book of them just being friendly and flirty I like that throughout the series he remains what can make Alina joyful.

Alina-"The girl I'd once been would have believed him. The girl I'd become wasn't in the mood."- page 68 Alina grows a lot in this series, while keeping with the traditional dark russian vibe of the story, Alina changes from insecure orphan to a strong woman. She bravely learns to not only not be afraid of the darkling but to not listen to his threats.

Nikolai-Who can resist? that is all.

The Darkling-Through the book and his prequel we learn more about him, I think Leigh Bardugo did a fantastic job at creating a villain that not only was intriguing, seductive, and evil but also heartbreakingly tragic. "He was ancient, I knew that. But in this moment he was just a boy-brilliant, blessed with too much power, burdened by eternity." ] I was drawn to him in the first two books like all seductive villains are, that's how evil works, it comes like a prince. But I also throughout the books loved Mal so much for being what a healthy relationship should be, and reminding the readers that the darkling is in fact not good. but in this sentence, I cried so hard. Bardugo made a frightening and exciting story about a monster chasing a girl to achingly tragic story, of a boy who was too smart, too lonely, too oppressed to be kind. The Darkling and Alina should have been star crossed lovers, she is his light and he is her darkness, but Bardugo reiterates the plot that was expressed in a different part of the story; that it is choice not fate that brings people together. And maybe if the Darkling learned how to love, or if ALina hadn't had Mal they would've been together.

Overall Bardugo wrote a stunning and touching story with adventure, danger, romance and death. And prose that was realistic, while also shining like light. 10/10
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

Oh, I have just finished the Grisha trilogy and I... Well, I'm quite speechless. I loved it so much! Okay, maybe I do find some things a bit annoying and unnecessary (like the implement of the Russian language), but I was so involved with the characters that it is crazy. I don't even remember when was the last time I cared so much for our fictional darlings.
I'll be writing a review for this book shortly (for my blog), I'm just waiting for my emotions to settle.
Bardugo's writing is so improved in this book, there are many gorgeous quotations and if I might add, Darkling... Jesus, it's good the destiny of some country doesn't lie with me cause I would sell it in a heartbeat just to be with Darkling. :oops:
Loved this book, this series, the characters. Love Bardugo, she bought me completely.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
Aisyah Nasir 1
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisyah-nasir-1.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Aisyah Nasir 1 »

I just finished reading this trilogy. As much as I love the series, I have to admit Ruin and Rising is the worst book among the three. Despite the thrilling action and anticipation, I was gutted by some scenes in the book. I am not sure why, but when I got to know about THE third amplifier, I felt that everything they had planned was such a waste of time. I think the group was terrible at planning and that it felt as if they were letting themselves eat out in the open. Everything does not make any sense to me.

Besides that, the scene with Nikolai could be improvised or written better to add meaning or message to the readers. We don't want the author to include our favourite character just out of popularity. We know how much impact Nikolai has given us in the previous book, and he should not be there just to be there. True, he is not the main character. Yet if he's included, then it should look like he is.

Finally, the ending of the Darkling. Darkling is the most well-developed character, in my opinion. Even in the first book, we could already connect with him even though he is the villain in the story. I was disappointed with the ending as Darkling is a massive figure and influence throughout the story. I don't think what happened to him was as impactful as I wish. It was very dull and simple.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

To me I don't really get why the darkling would do so much of what he has done, there isn't supposed to be necessary evil at all. He did some pretty nasty things and he is supposed to be held responsible for those. Although I like how his corpse was respected, I definitely felt Mal was so much underappreciated despite being one of the most grown character.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”