Review of This Our Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of This Our Faith

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "This Our Faith" by John Leslie Hart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This Our Faith by John Leslie Hart is a book that will stir your deepest emotions. It starts from a crash. A tired driver wrecked into the wagon with wheat belonging to the Speng family. Their two young sons, Sydney and LaMar, got injured. Dallern Speng, with the help of another farmer, Arsle Klaybill, took unconscious LaMar to the local hospital and left Sydney to continue with the everyday farm tasks, despite his injuries. LaMar survives, but it turns out that he has internal trauma, as Doc Mooley informs the devastated family. Any more or less serious infection could kill the boy because there were not that many reliable medications in the 1950s. More than that, the Spangs, a family with six children, can lose their farm and all possessions to the Federal Land Bank. Also, the town plays with the decision to close their only one school. Sydney desperately tries to help his younger brother to get better. He sees two open graves under the show, knowing from experience that his vision can come true. Meanwhile, his mother does her best to persuade Dallern to make the right choice about the farm and keep the faith, which he refuses to do. Thus, the book presents an endless debate between faith and reason and studies the nature of a miracle.

I like that faith is not an abstract concept in this book. Mom has faith that Sydney can find and save his father in a severe blizzard. Robin Neeter, a neighbor, believes in her husband's words that Sydney "was born to ride." That's why she gives Sydney a valuable palomino horse and makes him mount on it, despite all his fears and past failures. At last, Sydney must keep the faith that he can change the future. Also, miracles come in many shapes and forms, leading us to the surprising twists and turns of the plot I prefer not to reveal to avoid spoilers.

What I also like very much is that it's a character-driven book. Of course, Sydney became my favorite. "I am just a kid," he says, but he finds an inner strength within himself to do extraordinary and even unbearable things. As the narrative unfolds, he grows spiritually and learns to choose rightly. All the mentioned above makes Sydney a role model for young adult readers. The development of Dad's character is remarkable. From the beginning, he is too proud, headstrong, and even violent. But he is not a bad person, for we should keep in mind that the real antagonist in this book is a hardship. The author masterfully shows how Dallern Speng's good nature leads him to the understanding of true values. The secondary characters deserve the highest praise as well. They may seem rude or superstitious, but, overall, they are the salt of the earth. Also, the ending adds a powerful accord to this wonderful book.

On the other hand, the book lacks a proper background, in my opinion. It makes the narrative more intense, allowing us to follow the events from Sydney's perspective "in real-time," but some explanations would be helpful. For example, we don't know the name of the town where the events take place. But this issue is negligible compared to all the positive aspects of the book.

I would be happy to award this outstanding book with a complete rating, but I found more than ten minor typos and errors. It led me to the conclusion that the book was not professionally edited. Thus, I was compelled to give it only 3 out of 4 stars. The lesser rating would be impossible because this book was written in the best traditions of young adult literature and, in my opinion, could be considered a modern classic.

I recommend this masterpiece to young adult readers who love adventurous books with a touch of paranormal. Adult lovers of historical fiction and family dramas would like this book as well. Considering that the book explores the questions of faith from different angles and with respect, I suggest that the book would be suitable for readers of different religious beliefs and non-believers. At the same time, the book has some violent scenes that might be troubling for a sensitive audience. However, everyone who went through a hard time while growing up would appreciate this amazing book.

This Our Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

The title of the book gave out a glimpse of the book. The author did marvelous well in writing this book. Great review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I liked how this book suits to all people despite its tricky title. But I wonder what does the cover symbolizes. Great review.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Reading your review, I'm getting a really good feeling about the book :D. I think I would enjoy getting to know more about Sydney and his family.
Thank you for this wonderful review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Nazzy_ wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 18:33 The title of the book gave out a glimpse of the book. The author did marvelous well in writing this book. Great review.
Thank you so much! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Clare Jose wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 22:39 Reading your review, I'm getting a really good feeling about the book :D. I think I would enjoy getting to know more about Sydney and his family.
Thank you for this wonderful review!
Thank you very much, you'd love it! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Unosthetic wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 19:15 I liked how this book suits to all people despite its tricky title. But I wonder what does the cover symbolizes. Great review.
Oh, it's a great and a special part of the story! :) Thank you very much for your kind words!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Thank you for a wonderful review. The book sounds great but it isn't really my thing.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

zainherb wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 09:09 Thank you for a wonderful review. The book sounds great but it isn't really my thing.
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Your introduction is very captivating and made me so interested in reading the book. Thank you for this amazing review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Omega_01 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:08 Your introduction is very captivating and made me so interested in reading the book. Thank you for this amazing review.
Thank you so much for your kind words! :)
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

Faith-filled characters — I love it. I love that the book is suitable for people of all faiths and religions. Your review was interesting.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Victoria Munyandi wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:49 Faith-filled characters — I love it. I love that the book is suitable for people of all faiths and religions. Your review was interesting.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An adventurous book with a touch of paranormal, which follows the strange events that Speng family. Thanks for your nicely written review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

sanjus wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 01:27 An adventurous book with a touch of paranormal, which follows the strange events that Speng family. Thanks for your nicely written review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”