Review of When Pretty Was Ugly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of When Pretty Was Ugly

Post by Beatus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Pretty Was Ugly" by Dinah Reid.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In When Pretty Was Ugly, Dinah Reid explained what pain and heartache resulting from abuse and molestation look like and their effect on one’s life. I have a little daughter whom I love so much. As I read the book, I couldn’t stop thinking that what happened to Dinah could happen to her or any child out there. In fact, so much abuse is happening to so many children all over the world right now, and some of those who get through become abusive, hateful adults themselves. I believe that whatever that’s wrong in the communities around the world today is predominantly because of adults who were abused when they were little children.

The author started the book by harking back to when she was a toddler living in a large family in North Carolina. She recounts events in her life that are so horrendous they shouldn’t have happened to her or anyone else. The sexual abuses she had to endure from neighbors, older siblings, in-laws, and bullying by classmates, playmates, and even elders were enough torture physically, psychologically, and spiritually. Consequently, Dinah became a terrified, hateful child who would burst into a rage without knowing and fight like a wild animal. However, in any situation, there is a path that leads to a better place. How then did Dinah, now a wife and a mother, find that path?

This book got me thinking so hard about my children. In their right mind, parents should evaluate the environment their children are growing up in. The kinds of neighborhoods we live in are critical in shaping the type of adults our children would become. Dinah arranged the book perfectly and produced an easy read for any reader. She used the right words to narrate her painful but exciting life story so eloquently. She shared the moments that hurt her deeply and those that gave her joy and made her believe in herself. Indeed, through this book, many people, especially girls and women in broken families or abusive relationships, will be inspired and empowered.

There was nothing for me to dislike about the book. The chapters are arranged and structured well. I commend the author for her courage and boldness in telling the world about such experiences openly and honestly. For me, this is an honorable act. Unfortunately, the book has so many errors, signifying that professional editors were not engaged to edit it. Additionally, chapters nine and ten appear to be the same. However, I still commend the author for the outstanding arrangement, openness, and storytelling abilities.

Adult readers trapped in violent, abusive relationships or drug addiction will learn a lot from the book. Furthermore, readers interested in learning the effects of abusive situations and how to overcome them can get a thing or two from the book. However, I would not recommend it to younger readers and those who dislike gruesome pain, bullying, and sexual molestation scenes. In any other case, I would have deducted three stars, but I rate When Pretty Was Ugly by Dinah Reid 2 out of 4 stars because of the reasons I have mentioned above.

When Pretty Was Ugly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Seems to me like a motivational book dedicated to the abused women, for recovery and assurance that they can be overcomers, much needed review for the current day and age..nice review
Uniter Oyando
Favorite Book: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uniter-oyando.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by Uniter Oyando »

This was an insightful and detailed review. The topics covered are quite of a complex nature and it was brave of the author to write and address them in this book. Thank you for the review.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

This type of book truly gives a unique insight into the minds of abused children. It opens the perspective and allows for a deep discussion about abuse and its consequences. Really great, detailed review!
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

Thanks for a detailed review.
The irony title got me thinking hard and I love the experience that inspires this story. It more of solidarity to the abused and their prospect for hope. Thanks once again for this. :-)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”