Review of Lusting For Betrayal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Lusting For Betrayal

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lusting For Betrayal" by Kayla Barren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes the heart places us in a complicated situation we may not disentangle ourselves from. What happens when you start falling for your best friend’s lover? Will you compromise your relationship for what your heart desperately lusts for? Lusting For Betrayal by Kayla Barren narrates a romance story and the perplexities associated with a heart that bites more than it can chew.

Tia and Aniya are teenage sisters raised by their mum and stepfather, Jimmy. Jimmy is cold-hearted, uncouth, and monstrous when it comes to the girls. Though their mum sees it, she sides with her boyfriend. But anyway, the heart loves what it wants, right? Let's get to the juicy details, shall we?

Tia and her boyfriend, Jamari, are in a pool, being all romantic until Aniya interrupts them. Urgent matters force Tia to get out of the pool, leaving Aniya and Jamari together. Aniya becomes seductive and ends up kissing her sister’s boyfriend, professing her undying crush on him. Days later, Jamari can’t sway his mind off Aniya. Things get fascinating. Tia’s brutal ex-boyfriend is back looking all sexy, and now she can't turn her mind off him. Unexpectedly, Aniya gets involved with a loving and kind-hearted guy, Andre, Jamari's best friend. Soon Aniya falls in love with Andre. Nonetheless, she still has feelings for Jamari. What is it going to be?

I liked how the characters brought out their emotions without fear. I could feel Aniya’s sobs, Tia’s happiness, Jamari’s mixed feelings, etc. Aniya and her best friend, Miya, always shared their little and deep secrets. Thus, when the former opens up about her feelings for two men concomitantly, Miya causes sharp pain in Aniya’s heart by telling her the bitter truth. I loved Miya’s brutal honesty and their shopping adventures.

We have an emotionally sensitive book with incidences of rape and assault. Readers who may be disturbed by such should take caution. The writing style is informal and full of vulgar language. The story is character-driven, and it races fast with suspense until the ending page. There are instances when sadness washed over me, seeing the emotional torture inflicted on some characters. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Kayla Barren has crafted the book so masterfully that the intended themes were brought out quite unequivocally. There was not a single error; thus, the book is exceptionally well edited. And besides, I found nothing to dislike. I recommend the book to readers who want to be transported to a world of romance, lust, betrayal, and dysfunctional families.

Lusting For Betrayal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book with a lot of plot twists and romance stories. Quite interesting I must say.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”