The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Post by godreaujea »

I honestly really enjoyed the whole Hunger Games series. My main issue with it though is the whole romance factor. I get that Katniss is a young and attractive girl, with confused feelings, but romance just bogs down the rest of the story in my opinion. Other than that though, I find Katniss to be a total kick-butt character, and the series is pretty unforgettable.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

The basic premise is exciting, but I dont care for the plot or the false ish romance. I guess its because I dislike YA romance plots or subplots in general - it hurts the reading experience a lot.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

Personally, I'm not much of a dystopia fan and I admit this book gave me nightmares (though that might have also been due to the fact that I was sick). I loved the storyline, it was a really good concept. And this one is also my favourite book of the trilogy.
Shourya_singh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shourya_singh »

Well I certainly think that this book has that edgyness and adventure and romance at the same time . The book teleports us to a different sci-fi world which is really captivating. The concept of hunger games is new and brilliant coming from Suzanne Collins. One can relate to katniss everdeen and her deeds. I think it's really beautifully written.
HarleyQuinn2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyquinn2016.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by HarleyQuinn2016 »

I agree with the original post. I liked the series, and like many others read it before it became popular. However, the beginning of the book was so boring that it was hard to finish. I found that the same for the other two books. Overall, it was an okay story, but not one that I would read again years from now.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

This is my second favorite book of the Hunger Games Series. This is an amazing book with great moments of suspense. I could not put this book down, and finished reading it within a few hours. Suzanne Collins is a great author, and she should definitely continue writing. I do agree with you that the beginning is kind of boring, and you may get confused at times, but overall, this is a wonderful book. 5/5 for me.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Great Review! I really loved this book and read it in one sitting! :lol:
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

I remember listening to the audio book and finishing it in one day. I could not stop listening to it. The writing was good and the characters were good. It was amazing. I quickly started on the next two books! The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I loved this book! It's one of the books that got me back into reading in my teenage years when I was reading much less
1han_coaker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 1han_coaker »

I finished all 3 books a few years ago while in holiday, and I absaloutly adore them!! The books had just the right amount of Action and romance for my liking! The films were also incredible, and to this day, had been a subject that has bonded me and my friends together!!
rebeccawiseman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccawiseman.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by rebeccawiseman »

I absolutely agree with you. I am happy that the romance was not the focus of the book. I believe we should have more books that do not focus on love stories in young adult fiction.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Good review. Personally, I preferred the film to the book, felt more engaged with. Still, interesting book to read. Typical one you can read as a parent at the same time that your teenage and share thoughts.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I loved this book! It was exciting, and scary and kept my attention from start to finish. This is a unique story but the storyline is quite harsh and brutal. Katnis is an inspiration to young people, facing an impossible situation with bravery and courage, but not without fear.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I agree with the bulk of this review. The Hunger Games is a gripping story. I didn’t feel it was too slow to start, I think the author did a good job of immersing you in her world building, and for that reason the more gripping elements of the story came later. Something I really enjoy about this series is that Katniss is a very unique character. She is smart but has a bit of a temper that can get her into trouble, she’s not the most graceful speaker, and yet she is generally well-liked by those who meet her, and especially by those who take the time to breach her tight defenses and are willing to engage with her abrasive personality to get to know her better. As a reader, you feel like you invested the time to get to know her as well, which makes her story and tragedies feel so much more impactful and engaging. 5/5 book for me!
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”