The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lucindaheartsbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Post by lucindaheartsbooks »

The Hunger Games:
Author: Suzanne Collins
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Age Group: 12+

Okay, so this book is for the type of person that loves being on the edge of their seat and flipping the page as fast as you blink - aka, this means this book is for the type of person that loves an adventure.When you start reading you literally can't stop! There are many parts of the book that have bits where you're basically sweating with fear and many parts have eye watering ones too. Oh and the parts where you're twitching from all the disgusting parts where people get killed - especially where Katniss gets splattered with blood coming from a coughing, dying boy's mouth!

Positives:
- I love how Katniss's thoughts are described and how you can straight away know what type of girl Katniss is like
- The romantic feel throughout the book between Peeta and Katniss is a great break from the "hanging on the edge of the seat" feel
- The flashbacks Katniss has is a great touch to the story
Negatives:
- It's a bit boring at the start (I kept reading on anyway)
- I don't know if this is just me - but I'd kind of like to know what year they're in
- You kind of need to read it twice to understand what's going on in the first half of the book
Danielle_Erinn
Currently Reading: Mapping the Bones
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniheart13.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Danielle_Erinn »

Thanks for sharing :) I have read this book and I really love it. It is one of the best series I ever stumbled upon. I read the books long before the movies or any hype came out about it so the first time I read it I had never heard anything about it. Collins is an amazing writer and I wish she would write another book.
lucindaheartsbooks

Post by lucindaheartsbooks »

Thanks daniheart13 :D
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Short and to the point review! I liked it!
I haven't read The hunger games yet but keep hearing about it all the time. I'm not sure if I would want to read a "splattered with blood coming from a coughing, dying boy's mouth! " scene but " sweating with fear and many parts have eye watering ones too" sounds interesting. :P
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
Ellandreading

Post by Ellandreading »

Love it awesome book the person of made this book has a great imagination for kids and adults. Just love it
mandersonxoxo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandersonxoxo.html

Post by mandersonxoxo »

My favourite series of all time!
Brings back the feels:)
aMYethoughts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyethoughts.html

Post by aMYethoughts »

I absolutely loved the books because of the portrayal of Katniss. She is the heroine that we need in Young Adult books. She is proactive, discerning, and is strong with a very human soft side. She is a demographic we see far too little of, unfortunately.
Ntucker80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntucker80.html

Post by Ntucker80 »

I loved this series! I have read it 3 times now!
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'm very fond of these books, and I'm glad that you addressed both positives and negatives. Sometimes it seems with this series that people only focus on one or the other. As to what year it is, I think not knowing the year or the exact place the books take place is part of the destruction in the backstory. Their world has become so separated from ours that there is no link to our way of keeping time.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't really like this series, the first book was okay, the second was boring, the third was so disappointing, and I strongly dislike Katniss.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

I really loved this series. It's one of my absolute favorites. Your review is spot on. :D I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming Mocking Jay part 1 movie. In fact, I am so excited that I have reread the book.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
Yangu_38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yangu-38.html

Post by Yangu_38 »

Hunger Games is a very good story. The overall outline would have to be described as simple but exciting. I believe the language and way it was written could of been improved. Overall though this is a great book and a recommended read
Gradwriter17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gradwriter17.html

Post by Gradwriter17 »

I find most young adult fiction books of modern times to contain gratuitous violence or lust and therefore find them uninteresting. However, with the Hunger Games, the violence was indeed necessary and the romance triangle was not the focus of the story.

Susan Collins is a fantastic writer and depicts a realistic and believable sci-fi nation. The characters are not flat, and the struggles Katniss face have a deep impact on the reader. Collins has a good balance between scene description and internal thought, which allows for a perfect rate of revelation. From the beginning of the book, the reader is immersed and fighting with the main character to survive the horrific Hunger Games.

My one critique lies not with book one, but with the last book. I felt the series was wrapped up too hastily and the very end seemed particularly rushed. I think this brilliant series could have produced more than three books.
amullins516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amullins516.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by amullins516 »

I definitely agree with your rating. I liked the world-building in this book. Panem was developed and explained very well without a huge information dump. The romance was weaved into the story well without taking away from the main plot line. Great beginning to the series.
ssued2894
Currently Reading: The Guilt Club
Bookshelf Size: 398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssued2894.html
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh

Post by ssued2894 »

I have only read the first book in this series and it was way before anyone was even talking about it at all. I found out about it by one of my high school teachers. She started reading it to our class and this is what introduced me to it. I honestly loved the book and I have wanted to read the other books in the series but for some reason I have not gotten around to it. All in all I loved this book and how realistic the topic is.
Latest Review: "Fate's Exchange" by Sasha Leigh

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”