Review of Clean Pocket Change: A Post '90s Drama

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Clean Pocket Change: A Post '90s Drama

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Clean Pocket Change: A Post '90s Drama" by Matthew Rhone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A good friend is an essential requirement to ensure total happiness. It has proved to be a very durable factor, which people have learned to rely upon. Kevin is a young man with a lot of potential but with sufficient baggage troubling him. He sees the bigger picture in most situations, and he has a different goal from his peers in the army, who mostly had superficial motives. Can Kevin successfully get through the break period while having a bit of fun and mischief with his old friend, Toni? Find out in this work of fiction.

Clean Pocket Change: A Post '90s Drama by Matthew Rhone is an exciting story highlighting the power of friendship and trust. Kevin and Toni's relationship grows stronger, not because of familiarity but due to the similarity in their differences. The book is also a wake-up call for people to value their friends and appreciate their contributions towards life in general.

There were a few positive aspects to this book. The author was successful in blending the comedy in the book to give it a light-hearted tone.  There was also good use of military terms, which prove a proper vocabulary or sufficient research on the writer's path. I also admire that the writer did not include any romantic strings between Kevin and Toni, as this is a common occurrence in most books.

Through this book, we see the importance of associating ourselves with the right group of people to add value to our lives. This could go a long way in improving the general well-being of an individual. The plainness of the diction boosts the smooth sequence of the plot and helps maintain the reader's attention. The dialogue is also intense and dynamic.

This book also had certain negative factors. There were a lot of errors in this book, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. This is proof that limited effort was put into ensuring that the book was properly edited. This factor greatly influenced my interest in finishing this book. I also noticed that specific points in the plot were prolonged to make the book longer.

I was also disappointed to discover that some specific parts were not added in the book, like Kevin's experience in Egypt and the state of things at his home in Tennessee. These reasons reduce the general appeal of the book and would easily discourage and bore readers.

As a result of the previously listed reasons, I rate this book a three out of four stars. There were too many errors in this book, and I did not enjoy reading it as much as I hoped to. I feel any future reader would respect this decision. I recommend this book to readers with interest in drama and comedy. Also, I recommend it to anyone who aims to understand the true meaning of the bond shared by friends.

Clean Pocket Change: A Post '90s Drama
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Kevin seems like a real fun guy and I'd like to know more about him and how his adventures turned out to be. Thanks for the review.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

I believe this would've been an intriguing read for me, but due to the fact that the errors were too much, I think I'll pass. Great review.
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

Associating one self with the right set of people brings happiness I totally agree with that, from the review I feel the book would capture my interest so i will give it a try. Good review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Excellently written. One of the best out there. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”