Review of Inspector Mage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Inspector Mage

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inspector Mage" by Aleese Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inspector Russell Gaines was known for his dominance in closing cases using his unique mage gift. But Russell isn't an inspector anymore; he gave up the title when he failed to bring down the notorious serial killer known as the New Age God. Now only money could bring the down-on-his-luck drunkard back to the scene of a crime.

When he's offered an enormous sum to solve the recent murder that took place in the home of the prestigious Melton family, Russell is quick to jump back into the game. Despite Gaines's intentions to solve the case, he finds the mystery behind Julie Melton and the secret she's keeping even more intriguing. Julie, on the other hand, can see right through the former inspector's charms. But if they could see past each other's flaws and work out their differences, they might be able to work together and close the case once and for all.

Do you like fantasy stories with mages and magic? How about a good murder mystery? If you answered "yes" to both questions, you're going to want to check out Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor by Aleese Hughes. I loved the concept of blending these two genres to create an engaging murder mystery novel with a bit of magic to help do the solving. Since this was the first novel in the series, there was a lot of world-building in the early chapters, which slowed down the pace initially, but the author quickly pulled the reader into the mystery as the story progressed.

Overall, I enjoyed the plot, and the author's writing was easy to follow. I had a lot of fun gathering the clues and making my guess about what had happened and who committed the crime. I was a little disappointed that the culprit was so easy to figure out. I was not shocked by the plot twist because I had a strong suspicion about who was guilty before I even got to the halfway point in the book, but I did get the satisfaction of being right about my instincts. I had also hoped to see more growth in Russell's character, but he didn't have much of a chance to deal with his addiction in this novel. I hope to see him take positive steps in dealing with his past in future books.

Still, I thought the author did an excellent job of setting the book up for a sequel with even higher stakes and a more complex mystery to solve. Hughes piqued my interest and made me want to read further into the series. I also found no proofreading errors in this well-edited book. Therefore, I rate Inspector Mage three out of four stars. I reduced the rating by one star to reflect the issues mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I'd recommend Inspector Mage to mature teens and college-age readers because the main characters were in their early twenties and thirties, making this book fit better into the New Adult category than Young Adult. The adult characters partook in occasional excessive drinking and drunken behavior. Otherwise, Inspector Mage was free of profanities and erotic content. Adult readers may also enjoy the fantasy-mystery blend and better relate to the mature characters portrayed in the book.

Inspector Mage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like a really interesting book. I have never read stories that combine crime and fantasy, but because I am a fan of both genres, I might pick up this book soon. It's unfortunate that it seems so easy to figure out who the culprit is, but since the book is part of the series, there might be more suspenseful chapters coming up later. Thanks for the helpful review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I dint really enjoy much complex stories. I mean if it's good enough to understand then it's fine, if it has that old English style then it's not for me. Thanks for the review.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

So interesting novel which i enjoy reading it. He should'nt have give up at first. In life one need to give a try at all time.
Hana Rizwan
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Hana Rizwan »

Thanks for the great review. very interesting to read. I like the plot and it's intriguing. I'm looking forward to digging into the novel. Great job!
shamika daniels
Favorite Book: Inspector Mage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamika-daniels.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes

Post by shamika daniels »

I love this book. The magic the secrets and the lies they all form something to induce me in eagerness to read. I love the character Russell Gaines.
Adekeye-Hassan A
Currently Reading: The Christmas Pig
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adekeye-Hassan A »

Thanks for the review, Although I have never read books that combine magic, fantasy and crime, I am sure this will be a good time to start. Thanks.
NwakorVian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwakorvian.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by NwakorVian »

This looks interesting. Crime and magic combined together is definitely worth reading.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I thought he did an excellent job! Especially with so much "help" from others.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing murder mystery young-adult novel highlighting alcoholism, lost hope, reinventing oneself, unique characterization, and a fast-paced plot. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

You had me at mage, magic, and murder! Now combining these three to create an epic book come to reality, is definitely my kind of thing. I can't wait to read this book completely and also experience the characters' growth. I enjoy the mystery and suspense behind solving the murder. Well done on an amazing and intriguing story and on receiving #BOTD. Also well done on a well-written and honest review.
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

This book sounds so interesting! I love fantasy, and I don't read too many mystery novels but I'd certainly be willing to give this one a go due to the magical elements.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I don't particularly care for novels featuring magic and magicians, so this one isn't for me. But I read the first chapter, and the book is nicely written. I'm certain those who prefer this genre will enjoy the story. Congrats to the author on BOTD.
Lola6
Currently Reading: A Bavarian French Norman Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Lola6 »

The book is quite interesting, most especially with the the fact that magic is involved. Magic and mystery worth the read. It give this suspense, wanting to know what happens at last. I love it
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

This sounds like a very intriguing story full of mysteries and suspense. I'm itching to know how Julie was able to guard her long-kept secret and how inspector Mage handled the murder case.
Congrats to the author.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”