Review of Whiplash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Whiplash

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whiplash" by Morgan Quaid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Whiplash by Morgan Quaid, Jack Flint was taken from his home by two men in the middle of the night — one was huge and the other a dwarf. They went on about how he had been chosen, even though he did not look the part. They carried him off to meet with a man called 'Giant' in a place called 'Bunker.' He was afraid they kidnapped him for ransom, knowing his sister, Amy, could not afford to pay. But he soon discovered he was not the only one taken. There were other kids there as well, from ages nine to eighteen. Why had they been taken? Would anyone come to their rescue?

The first thing I loved about Whiplash was the suspense with which it started. Why was a boy taken from his home to a remote location? Readers would not drop the book till they got answers. The aura of intrigue and mystery was very well crafted, and the author carried it on artfully with his narration till the end of the book. Also, the narrative was not short of action. Adrenaline would be pumped, and hearts would beat as fast as the bullets and combat in this book. It was an exciting addition to the underlying suspense of the book.

The characters were also an integral part of the story. I loved how the author used his characters to add flavor to the narrative. For instance, he created more suspense with the character' Giant,' introduced some bit of love and softness with the character 'Saffron,' and relieved the tension using some twisted humor with Jack's character. Readers would indeed have fun with the differently portrayed character expressions. With Jack's character, there were many lessons that observant readers could learn about life's hard times and the right attitude to deal with those situations.

Unfortunately, the structure of the book could do with some improvement. The page breaks were not appropriately placed; new page numbers would come in the middle of another page with new chapter headings. This made it challenging to trace page numbers and gave the book a disorganized outlook.

Another observation I made was the constant omission of the letter 'l' from many of the words that would typically carry double l. Words like smells, gorilla, villain, cell, and ball were written as 'smel s,' 'goril a,' 'vil ain,' 'cel ,' and 'bal ,' respectively. There were tens of them throughout the book. I couldn't tell whether this was some creative angle, and I couldn't identify any incorporated accent that could have explained such omissions. Fortunately, although these omissions were conspicuous, the story narration was not negatively affected.

Asides from the stated observations, I enjoyed reading Whiplash. It was a thrilling read, and I'd look forward to the next installment. Lovers of action stories would love the story. I'd rate this book three out of four stars.

Whiplash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

The plot of this book seems quite interesting to me. I am curious to know what happened to Jack and how everything turned out at the end. Thanks for the review.
Levy chisengele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Levy chisengele »

wow the book is so interesting and marvelous am just interested in knowing what happened to the story.. thanks for the review
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

This book has so much suspense right from the start. Although there are many errors as mentioned in this review, I'm still quite curious as to why Jack Flint was taken and if he is able to return home. Thanks for your honest review!
Julius Nwohiri
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-nwohiri.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Julius Nwohiri »

Sounds like a story that will keep you glued to every page till you get to the end. I can't wait to read it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”