Review of Bloodline

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Bloodline

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloodline" by M. Goodwin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marco and Raul are cousins, but they couldn’t have been more different. Raul was rich and arrogant, which he showed by flaunting his "pets". Does he have some sort of ulterior motive? Marco was lower middle-class by today’s standards and very hard-working. He was sickened by the use of people as “pets", but for fear of the polizia, his feelings about these "pets" have to be kept tightly to himself. Everyone seems to be very concerned with security, which I guess you would have to be when everything is grounds for arrest.

In Bloodline by M. Goodwin, many of the freedoms that we have now, and unwittingly take for granted, are a thing of the past. Humans are crowded together, and in order to keep the population from growing too large, a strict one-child policy is enforced. Many things regarding the family unit are regulated. When and who to date/marry and when to have your child are just a few of those things.

I really dislike the idea of owning another person. I know that this story is fiction, but this has happened in the past. The prospect of it happening again makes my skin crawl. I also dislike the way many people's lack of freedom is just accepted as the way that things must be. I know that the people in this story are frightened for their lives, but I hope that I would stand up.

I do like that some of the characters are willing to risk their own personal safety and happiness to ensure a better life for the "pets". Even though they are risking their lives, they are trying to make things better. The author’s style makes me feel as though almost everyone who does this has the best interests of others at heart. I know that it’s not reality, but it’s a world that I want to live in. I also really like the cover art. It’s very simple, but intriguing.

There are numerous places where an extra space is placed in between the letters of a word and other places where a hyphen has been left. These, however, did not detract from my enjoyment of reading the book. The more than ten additional errors proved to me that this book was not professionally edited. The many run-on sentences were distracting. After another round of editing, it will be easier to read. I give this novel a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

There are references to Christianity and personal relationships with Jesus Christ in this novel. Even though this is illegal in the society described in this book, it keeps me from being able to recommend it to people who may be offended by this or believe differently. I do, however, highly recommend this book to lovers of novels about dystopian societies.

Bloodline
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

Man this book seems quite interesting to me and I'll definitely try to read it. It has a different type of vibe to it which I don't understand right now but I will once I get my hands on it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

The book title is catchy, i will definitely be reading it soon. I also loved the cover art of the book because it's very simple. Thanks
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Shivansh_Reviews wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 13:45 Man this book seems quite interesting to me and I'll definitely try to read it. It has a different type of vibe to it which I don't understand right now but I will once I get my hands on it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
It’s great! :D
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Chijindu Ifedigbo wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 18:51 The book title is catchy, i will definitely be reading it soon. I also loved the cover art of the book because it's very simple. Thanks
It’s what first drew me! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”