Review of A Dog Named Butterfly Sappho, Stop the Bullying

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Review of A Dog Named Butterfly Sappho, Stop the Bullying

Post by Rachael S 1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dog Named Butterfly Sappho, Stop the Bullying" by Sapp-hirepoetry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dog Named Butterfly Sappho, Stop the Bullying by Sapp-hirepoetry is a children’s story about a young girl who is bullied by her classmates and saved by her loving dog.

This story follows a young girl, Annie, who is not happy with how she looks or sounds. She does not like going to school because all her classmates make fun of her. Her only friend is her dog. Butterfly Sappho, a Welsh Terrier with big butterfly wings. The catch? Only Annie can see the wings on her dog. One day, Annie takes Butterfly Sappho to class to show her classmates. However, when the school day ends, one of her classmates steals Butterfly Sappho. Annie is devastated. Will she ever see her friend again?

I really like how the author begins the story by detailing Annie and how much she does not like herself. Many children do not like something about themselves. It is nice for the author to reflect these fears through the main character of the story.

As this is a children’s book, I was impressed that the author included a journal section at the end of the book. Most importantly, there were questions regarding what and who bullies are and what to do when confronted by one. This was impressive as the main point of the story was how a young girl was bullied by her classmates. Parents and teachers will be able to take this book and turn it into a learning experience for their children.

One of the issues I had with this book was the size of the font. It was very small for the size of the page it was printed on. This made the book a little difficult to read. Especially when a single page holds the majority of the story without any breaks.

Other than the size of the text, there was nothing I disliked about this story. It was very inspiring and hopeful. All the pages were decorated with beautiful pictures that reflected the story they were telling. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors and believe this book to have been professionally edited. This book is geared towards young children, and I would recommend it to parents and teachers with children under the age of 10 who want to begin a discussion about bullying.

A Dog Named Butterfly Sappho, Stop the Bullying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

This seems like an educative book for both children and adults. Adults can learn from this book how to help children deal with their insecurities.
Sowmya-246
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sowmya-246 »

After your review. Am very eager to start this book because being bullied by classmates is not a easy thing to face. I could totally relate to it n I can't wait to read it quickly n give a review on it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”