Review of Taking off the mask

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Review of Taking off the mask

Post by Mindy Conahye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taking off the mask" by Antoinette Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Taking off the Mask is an autobiography written by Antoinette Jackson. It is written about how the author realized she spent many years of her life hiding behind different masks. She used the masks to conceal her own emotions. The book is about exploring the world without the masks while going through a spiritual awakening and applying the word of God into life.

Antoinette didn't have an easy life growing up. She faced pregnancy at a young age. She moved around numerous times. Her life lacked stability and had an abundance of abuse and pain. She didn't let that stop her. She clung to her faith, the few people who cared about her, and her babies. Her story shows others they can heal from what they've been through and it inspires readers to seek a strong relationship with God.

Readers looking for an inspiration story would want to read this book. It also includes many scripture references so some readers may enjoy this aspect. It may be triggering at certain points. It talks about abuse and rape so readers who have had trauma would possibly want to skip reading the book. Those who aren't fans of stories revolving around faith and God may also prefer to skip this one.

I enjoyed reading Taking off the Mask. I found the book to be motivational and inspiring. The author faced many difficult situations in her life, but that didn't stop her from pushing forward. I liked how she included scriptures throughout the book to go with her life story. They were very fitting and would make me think more on what she was saying. I also found her writing style to be unique and enjoyable. At times I felt like I could hear her voice as I was reading her words. I feel she did a wonderful job writing the book. I do believe some may find parts of her story to be triggering at times. She talks about rapes and abuse she had faced in different relationships. This may be difficult for some trauma and domestic abuse survivors to read about. It might be nice to include a small note on the content of the book. Overall, I didn't find anything to dislike.

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited and contains no errors. I found the author's story to be not only inspiring, but it makes her very relatable and real to the reader. I feel she did an excellent job in encouraging others to remove the masks they hide behind. I enjoyed reading this book and would read others by this author.

Taking off the mask
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mac :techie-reference:
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Intriguing. Great review :tiphat:
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Wow, it must have been a tough time for Antoinette Jackson growing up. I love that she found the will power to move past it and seek a spiritual awakening. Great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The theme is something that is so relatable. Putting a mask for different times or just to make through seems to be a human condition. Great review!
Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Steinkar »

I was hoping to use this with my teenage students, but the scripture references take this out of the running. Nice review, though!
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

this is a good book to come across , it is so relatable
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Self rejuvenation and inspiration are but rare qualities to obtain in path of obstacles.....thanks for the review
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Sounds like an interesting book. Autobiographys can make you relate and not feel alone in your suffering. And the encouragement is very self boosting
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”