Review of Yolanda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Yolanda

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yolanda" by Ronald Schoenberg and Karyne Pesho.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Things have changed over the years, and so has technology. Often, we find ourselves glued to our phones reading tweets on Twitter, smirking over our favorite celeb’s recent post, among others. New dancing trends come up each day on TikTok, and we can video chat with our distant friends on Skype. Technology has made things easier but is also much time-consuming. In Yolanda by Ronald Schoenberg and Karyne Pesho, Yolanda’s parents express their discontentment with their daughter’s addiction to her phone.

Yolanda is a young girl who lives with her parents, Sam and Maya. However, she spends time on her phone chatting with her only friend, Susie. Yolanda boasts of a wide range of ancestral heritage: Chinese, Italian American, and Quinault. Nevertheless, her distinctive looks only make it worse at school, getting mean comments from the popular kids.

Sam decides to take his daughter on a camping trip. He decides to take Yolanda to see the Reservation and learn more about the Quinault Indians. She has mixed feelings about the experience, but she is thrilled about the escapade. Things take an unprecedented turn when Sam falls off and injures his leg. Ironically, Yolanda has to use her phone, the same one that her parents have been expressing concerns about, to seek help. Will she succeed in the task?

I enjoyed the epic adventure in the forest, reading about the wild berries and toxic mushrooms. It was bewildering to know that the ancient Quinault people ate deer meat, wild fruits, and herbs back in the day. I kept imagining myself being a part of their culture and the strenuous life of traditional communication because there were no smartphones.

Yolanda is compassionate. Her father injures his leg and cannot move. Despite the chilly weather, she removes her jacket to support Sam’s head. Also, she lost the trail on her way to the car to retrieve her phone to call for help. Even worse, the forest was dark, as there were no street lights. There were wild animals, and a mountain lion was on the loose. I feared for Yolanda and her safety.

Some dialogues were repetitive; hence, unrelieved to follow. That’s what I did not like. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I only exposed two errors, so it is professionally edited. I gained immensely from reading more about Yolanda’s family and their history. I recommend the installment to teenagers fascinated by books with diverse cultures.

Yolanda
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

This story reflects our society today. Personally, I do not even know how to talk to people physically, but I have a smart mouth on phone. I hope Yolanda was able to help her dad.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

If she's able to help her dad, it still doesn't validate her addiction. Seems like a great book. Thank you for the review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

The story seems to bring out the current social scenario in light. I do understand the excessive use of phone is bad but it is indeed helpful at the time of emergencies. From the review I can make out where the story will lead to. Thank you for a great review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This book is reflecting my personality and it's quite comical. I hope Yolanda gets her dad's help. Great review
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The theme of the book is much relatable for kids who have just started their teen years. They do stupid things at this time and now that they have their own smart phones, no one can say what they can or can not do. Great review.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

A superb review. I recommend this to our young generation whose addiction has gone to the levels of not working without earphones or headphones... though the phone has advantages, it has disrupted our association with our children and they can't live without phones due to school work.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”