Review of Chosen One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of Chosen One

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chosen One" by Marc Richmond.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chosen One by Marc Richmond tells the story of Tidus Davis. Tidus is a new student at Knollwood University. He is hoping to get away from his overbearing father. He is not an outgoing person and worries that he will struggle to make friends. He is hopeful that he will become friends with his roommate, Eric. Tidus meets a girl named Jasmine, and they are instantly drawn to each other. He is excited to become friends with this kind and beautiful girl, but soon after they meet, his life becomes complicated. He feels like he is being followed and watched, but assumes he is just being paranoid. Tidus is suddenly thrown into a world with supernatural creatures that he didn’t even know existed. Why are these people interested in him? Do they want to hurt him? If so, why?

I am skeptical about books with werewolves and vampires. They are often too similar. However, this story I found enjoyable. I liked the diversity of characters and supernatural creatures. Jasmine is my favorite character. She is friendly, outgoing, and instantly loyal. She trusts her instincts and doesn’t doubt herself. She is very supportive of Tidus, even when he can’t decide what he wants. Eric, Tidus’s roommate, is also a great character. He seems super friendly and laid back. He gently pushes Tidus to attend parties and events around campus. Eric seems like a simple and chill guy, but there is a lot more to him. I also like how the author has the characters act their age. Although there is serious stuff going on, they still go on dates, go out to parties, and play video games. The book moves at a good pace and there is a good amount of action. This story has a lot of characters, but the author introduces them slowly enough that I was able to keep track of them. I even liked the evil characters in this book. Some start off nice but change when things don’t go their way.

There are a couple of things I disliked about this book. One is the main character’s attitude. He complains often. He doesn’t like his father or brothers. He complains about having a hard time making friends but doesn’t want to go places when invited. He even pushes away the few friends he makes. It made him less likable to me. This story also lacks location descriptions. At one point, Tidus and Jasmine are sitting on a swing at a park. That is all the description that the reader gets. This book could use a lot more description.

Some of the dialogue is phrased oddly, but I did not find any editing errors. This book was well edited. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The story was enjoyable, but it lacked description, and the main character was my least favorite.

I recommend this book to young adults who like supernatural stories. It is a quick and easy read, with enough action to keep you entertained.

Chosen One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great storyline. This should be fun to read. Thanks for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love supernatural stories and I will love to know how Tidus went into a supernatural world from a world that seemed ordinary.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

Tidus seems like a relatable character because he is not an outgoing person and worries that he will struggle to make friends.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

A book about werewolves and vampires certainly presents an intriguing plot. Great review.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Now this is the kind of book I enjoy reading. Although the author could have improved more on the main character. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that this sounds like a great book. I understand where Tidus is coming from. I think that I’m a lot like him. (Hopefully not the complaining part.)
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I am curious to know why all these creatures are interested in Tidus. Does he wield some kind of magical powers? I guess I would have to read this book to find out. Thank you for your honesty.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

When love relationship mixes with mysteries creates not only a world of imagination but also a world of possibilities. Great review that compels one's instinct to want a read!
Julius Nwohiri
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-nwohiri.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Julius Nwohiri »

Though I am an adult, I always find college stories of teenagers very interesting. Especially, where you begin to see an initially shy teenager gradually develop into a more outgoing person. These category of stories often take me back to my teenage days. A good read for young adults and the young at heart. Good review.
Jennifer Garcia 555

Julius Nwohiri wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 07:13 Though I am an adult, I always find college stories of teenagers very interesting. Especially, where you begin to see an initially shy teenager gradually develop into a more outgoing person. These category of stories often take me back to my teenage days. A good read for young adults and the young at heart. Good review.
This is definitely true for this book. You would probably enjoy it. Thanks for your comment.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Jennifer Garcia 555

Amy Luman wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 09:12 I think that this sounds like a great book. I understand where Tidus is coming from. I think that I’m a lot like him. (Hopefully not the complaining part.)
The main character struggles a lot, but does grow stronger from it.
Jennifer Garcia 555

Walter R wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 06:14 A book about werewolves and vampires certainly presents an intriguing plot. Great review.
This book had many types of supernatural creatures including dragons and werebears!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”