Review of Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review of Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud" by Sylvia Greif.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud is a young adult book written by Sylvia Greif. It is the first book in a trilogy and introduces characters, backstories, and the start of an adventure. The book is simple yet fun to read.

Ela Green is a fourteen-year-old girl who finds a bracelet and a scroll in the attic. She is instantly drawn to them and wants to discover where they came from. She soon learns that the bracelet grants her the ability to travel into a different world. A world where a tree, Yggdrasil, mentions she must go through an adventure meant only for her. Initially, she is terrified and returns to the real world. That is when she discovers time has hardly moved. Her best friend, Jo, claims she disappeared for a few seconds and suddenly appeared. She then decides to confront her uncle about what he knows. Ela Green has been part of a prophecy for many years. The time has finally come for her to fulfil it.

I love young adult books, and Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud did not disappoint. I love how the history of the bracelet is told. The author does not leave you contemplating its existence or how it came to the family’s hands. I also like how the author mentions history in the book. I found myself learning about Zoroastrianism and Egyptology. The author also uses a few Arabic terms in the book, and it was exciting since I recognized the phrases.

It took me a couple of chapters to get accustomed to the book. The chapters sometimes switch to a different character. Also, I found it weird we got introduced to a character who suddenly disappeared. I suppose this particular character may appear in future books. I will have to read the sequel to find out. I also predict the main character will go through substantial character development. I am sure she will become more mature and independent.

The book seems to be professionally edited as I hardly found any errors. This is an enjoyable book, and I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud to young adults, especially those between 12 and 15. I could easily imagine reading this book in the 7th or 8th grade. There is absolutely no foul language, and the content is not graphic. There are instances where morality comes into play; however, it does not affect the book negatively in any way.

Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I, also, enjoy young adult novels even though I am far from being one. Ela seems to take being part of the prophecy in stride. I wonder what Yggdrasil knows.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an excellent YA book. I can't help wondering what the prophecy is. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Michael Ngari
Currently Reading: Blood Red Moon
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Michael Ngari »

Wow I also enyoy reading young adult novels but not that much. Thanks to your great review that now It would seem fun reading Ela green and the kingdom of Abud by Sylvia Greif
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

If there's a mystery in a book, it's the responsibility of the author to effectively remove questions about it from the readers; it's great to know the author obliged. Great review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

RayRuff wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 12:55 I also like how the author mentions history in the book. I found myself learning about Zoroastrianism and Egyptology. The author also uses a few Arabic terms in the book, and it was exciting since I recognized the phrases.
This is quite an interesting feature! Maybe I'll give this book a try, once I catch up with my (endless :lol2: ) TBR.
Thank you for the review!
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I love fantasies and anything with Egyptology in it! So, I'll probably be reading this book; it sounds really exciting! Thanks for the encouraging review!
Stormy76
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Stormy76 »

I am hooked already and I'm only on chapter one, I can't wait to see how this book unfolds! I also can't wait to read the other two books in this series. History and fantasy are two of my favorite things. I am a huge fan of YA novels, they keep my imagination going.
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

I really enjoy reading young adult novels like this..history and fantasy keep my imagination going for the story.. thanks for the wonderful review..
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I guess it's a lovely read for young adults and not only - very engaging and educational :) Thanks so much for this amazing review!
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Looks like a captivating book for young teens. I would love to know what Ella gets up to in this different world. Thanks for a great review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot or storyline. Would definitely love to have this book in my shelf. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is an amazing genre to keep me awake all night. Thanks for the review
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This sounds like an interesting read and an excellent fit for YA readers. I enjoyed reading your review :)
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Amy Luman wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 15:57 I, also, enjoy young adult novels even though I am far from being one. Ela seems to take being part of the prophecy in stride. I wonder what Yggdrasil knows.
Prisallen wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:31 This sounds like an excellent YA book. I can't help wondering what the prophecy is. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Michael Ngari wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 04:43 Wow I also enyoy reading young adult novels but not that much. Thanks to your great review that now It would seem fun reading Ela green and the kingdom of Abud by Sylvia Greif
Raymond N wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 10:23 If there's a mystery in a book, it's the responsibility of the author to effectively remove questions about it from the readers; it's great to know the author obliged. Great review.
marba wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:37
RayRuff wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 12:55 I also like how the author mentions history in the book. I found myself learning about Zoroastrianism and Egyptology. The author also uses a few Arabic terms in the book, and it was exciting since I recognized the phrases.
This is quite an interesting feature! Maybe I'll give this book a try, once I catch up with my (endless :lol2: ) TBR.
Thank you for the review!
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 16:17 I love fantasies and anything with Egyptology in it! So, I'll probably be reading this book; it sounds really exciting! Thanks for the encouraging review!
Stormy76 wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 21:37 I am hooked already and I'm only on chapter one, I can't wait to see how this book unfolds! I also can't wait to read the other two books in this series. History and fantasy are two of my favorite things. I am a huge fan of YA novels, they keep my imagination going.
Ronnie Comendador 1 wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 20:42 I really enjoy reading young adult novels like this..history and fantasy keep my imagination going for the story.. thanks for the wonderful review..
Ellylion wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 07:44 I guess it's a lovely read for young adults and not only - very engaging and educational :) Thanks so much for this amazing review!
Adelle v wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:03 Looks like a captivating book for young teens. I would love to know what Ella gets up to in this different world. Thanks for a great review.
Walter R wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 08:14 This looks like quite an intriguing plot or storyline. Would definitely love to have this book in my shelf. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 21:07 This is an amazing genre to keep me awake all night. Thanks for the review
Rwill0988 wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 21:45 This sounds like an interesting read and an excellent fit for YA readers. I enjoyed reading your review :)
A big thank you for stopping by and leaving all the lovely comments! It was a lovely book and I would absolutely recommend it.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”