Review of Becoming Athena

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Becoming Athena

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Becoming Athena" by Katherine Lore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scarlet Leone thought she had her life planned out, but the broken nature of her family has changed that course by stealing away her hope for a future. Despite her rule to never marry or have a boyfriend—she doesn't want to be trapped in the same abusive situation as her mother—she can't help but sneak glances at her handsome neighbor Cy Smith whenever possible. But Cy might as well live on another planet. The Mormon community that he's a part of frowns on relationships with someone outside the faith, and Scarlett's alcoholic anti-Mormon father would gladly disown her for even thinking of betraying her family loyalties.

Still, it's hard for science-minded Scarlett to say no to the opportunity to tutor the astronomy-addled Cy, who needs help getting a passing grade on the senior final. Scarlett is convinced she'll never fall in love, but her heart may not give her a choice with the sweet-talking Southern charmer. Will their tender, unspoken love stand up against the trials that lie ahead for the star-crossed couple?

Becoming Athena was an exhilarating young adult romance novel by Katherine Lore. I loved Scarlett's personality and how she saw the world from her unique perspective. The brilliant young woman hid her intelligence under the disguise of mediocre grades, yet her inner thoughts reflected her extraordinary way of seeing the world around her. While you don't have to have a significant familiarity with Greek Mythology and scientific terms to enjoy the book, I appreciated the simple joys of how Scarlett used Mythology and science to create metaphors and analogies of the people and places around her. I also enjoyed how the author used Scarlett's way of thinking and the faith community around her to create obstacles along her romantic journey with Cy Smith.

The author did a fantastic job growing and developing Scarlett throughout the novel, but I also appreciated the glimpses of growth that Lore gave of the supporting characters. It was well worth reading about the transformation of Scarlett's friends and family despite the tragic circumstances that the author crafted throughout the pages. The characters' emotions worked their way into my heart, and it was not hard to cheer for the developing romance, the healing family, and the time-tested friendships as the novel progressed. I loved how the author worked out the story's conclusion; even though it made me cry, there was a sense of peace and joy in those tears as the pieces came together perfectly.

There wasn't anything that I disliked about the writing, and I found almost no errors in this well-edited book. I gladly give Becoming Athena four out of four stars.

I'd highly recommend this clean young adult romance to its intended teen audience, as well as adults who enjoy roller-coaster love stories. I think that readers who enjoy novels like Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook and A Walk to Remember would appreciate this novel as well. There was one minor instance of swearing and no erotic content. While the story took place in the Mormon community, the book is less about religious beliefs and more about the coming-of-age journey of Scarlett Leone. The faith discussions seemed more geared toward creating a situational obstacle for the young couple rather than an attempt to sway the reader's beliefs.

Becoming Athena
View: on Bookshelves
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This seems like quite an intriguing storyline. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Unlike you, I feel I'm decently versed in Greek mythology. Therefore, I'm looking forward to getting to read this book. In fact, it was the title itself that drew me into reading your review. Great review!
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Seems like a really great book with an interesting storyline. I may just be checking this out. Awesome review.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I'm not a fan of romance novel, but I think this novel is quite great.. I'll try to read the chapter sample before deciding to buy it. Thanks for your well-written review!
tfy9601
Currently Reading: Empire of Storms
Bookshelf Size: 594
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tfy9601.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by tfy9601 »

I love greek mythology and romance stories, so this book sounds right up to my alley. While I was hesitant about picking up this book because of the religious aspect of the book, your thoughts on the roll that plays in the story is very enlightening. And it sounds nice the character development in the book.
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Becoming Athena" by Katherine Lore I'd an interesting book about love. I will read to know if Scarlet Leone's friendship with Cy Smith materialized to a favourable relationship. Great book!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I enjoy Greek mythology with a twisted romance. I would love to learn about their blossoming love and how they will clear the obstacles in their path, if possible. Well done on an excellent review and for #BOTD!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting young adult romance novel highlighting a captivating plot, emphasis on religion and ways of life, and a unique protagonist. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Edigbo B Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edigbo-b-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Edigbo B Emmanuel »

Many times, parents will want a child to follow suit in their religious beliefs. Children should be left to find their way as they progress through life. Not everyone will align with some belief system passed down to a generation over time and the quest to change that narrative will not come without it's version of challenges. Only true love will stand the test of time. I hope she eventually finds true love with Cy and are both allowed to live their lives. Great review. Congratulations on BOTD.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

This book has several elements that are of interest to me, not the least the glimpses of Greek mythology. The reviewer already got me worked up mentioning that Scarlet hides her intelligence with mediocre grades. It shows that already the review got me captivated, and it is a book that can also interest not-so-young adults.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85270
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1284%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📚📖📖 of the day BOTD is young adult genre and an innocent astronomy lesson from a young girl that turns intimately and later uproot all she has know and believed oh her own epic journey . she lived in Utah,she was non religious she mostly struggled with self - identity among her peers!! After she crowned the boy nextdoor as Apollo unexpected happening leads to her falling for him and for the next 7yr the build a strong bond that healed her up and also broke her down! She grew up From being just an ordinary girl to a goddess.. I really enjoyed this book it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅📚
SarahRB
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by SarahRB »

Thanks for the insightful review! I read a sample to get the feel of it and I agree that Scarlett definitely has a unique way of viewing the world around her. The referenced to Greek Mythology were fun and added to the tone of the book.
From the sample I read I wasn't sure if I wanted to read more - Scarlett's voice and the way things were phrased is different to many other books and I wasn't sure I could stick with it. But, after reading this review and better understanding the almost 'forbidden' romance aspect of it, I will give it a go!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I am very picky when it comes to romance, and way too old to read about high school kids and their love lives. However, Scarlett seems like a unique young lady, and including Mormon community to this story adds an interesting twist. I’d imagine younger readers will greatly enjoy this story. Thank you for the lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I've sampled a few chapters of this book, and I fully agree with the reviewer on all points. I would only add that parents of teenagers may also find this book of interest as it offers a teenager perspective on the matters of family, romance, and the impact of an abusive parent on the children's behavior and plans for the future.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”