Gone Series Review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
t_ris512
Bookshelf Size: 0

Gone Series Review

Post by t_ris512 »

In a small town in Southern California every person aged fifteen and above vanish, and a mysterious opaque dome appears around the town. As the teens and children struggle to survive, they discover that some of them have special, supernatural abilities.

I began this series a few years back and finished it about one year ago. Throughout all six novels the story line captivated me and kept me wanting more. Michael Grant created a world that was just enough impossible but still real and people could relate to. He gave twists and surprises that kept me wanting more.
Not only did he create an amazing story line, but the characters were well written and grew along with the story line.
I would highly recommend this novel to any teen or adult who loves survival stories and science fiction.
FAHenfrey
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahenfrey.html
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor

Post by FAHenfrey »

Although I loved the dystopian world created in Gone, I found the overall series a huge disappointment. Gone was an excellent book but from there it went steeply downhill so that I have never been able to read the last two books. The problem was the overall series arch was teased out so slowly over the course of the series that it was completely engulfed by each books individual story line and these story lines themselves quickly became formulaic. It was very disappointing to see this happen to such a promising series.
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor
Skylar41
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

I love this book series!!! I need to read the last book of the series. Then I will know what happened to the FAYZ. :)
NLC[JRZ]

Post by NLC[JRZ] »

I really liked the series overall, but towards the last few books I didn't enjoy the new threats too much. I feel that Drake could've definitely been explored more. We were given tiny tidbits about his past and how he most likely got his sadistic behavior through his grandfather, but I feel that we could've been offered more backstory. To continue on the topic of Drake, I really wish we had a little more explanation with how he got with Brittany (who I could not stand). The whole mixing of their bodies seemed to take away from the whole "this is totally crazy, but under the right conditions is totally feasible" thing I got from the world. I wanted Drake to be solo, I guess. Him being bogged down by Brittany wasn't something I cared for.
Another thing that bothered me was how Petey really died. Maybe I accidentally skimmed over it, but he just ceased to be. He's thrown into the swarm of bugs, he makes them disappear, then he just poofs I was left wondering how he made the escape from his physical body and where that body went. And then the whole epic battle with Gaia was definitely disappointing. It happened and then that was it.
Finally, the big poof. What's the deal with the ugly looking worm thing? Was it the darkness? If so, why did it offer a chance to get out of the dome? Why did the twins escape unharmed, but Mary and Francis were severe disfigured?
Other than that, the series was altogether a fun and enjoyable read. I felt incredibly sad at the deaths of some characters and horrified by some events that happened. I loved Quinn's growth as a person when he finally discovers something he can do successfully that also contributes to the FAYZ positively. Edilio was my most favorite with his dependability and unwavering loyalty. It broke my heart to watch him feel failure, guilt, and heartbreak. I wish we got to see his relationship with the Artful Roger grow. Sanjit was a very close second due to his hilarious flirtatiousness with Lana. He was definitely a good addition to take the edge off of her character.
I loved the plot and reading about the different wonders and oddities of the FAYZ, I will definitely miss this world and the characters.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I read Gone awhile ago and really enjoyed it. For some reason I wasn't compelled to make it a point to keep reading the series. I've been seeing the series mentioned a lot lately so was thinking I should go ahead and read the second book. These mixed reviews make me feel like I'm not missing much though.
ashley-nicole
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-nicole.html

Post by ashley-nicole »

This series had so much potential! Unfortunately, I couldn't get past Hunger. I absolutely loved Gone. I couldn't put it down but then when I moved on to Hunger I couldn't get into it at all. I don't even think I finished it because it was so boring. Basically nothing happened and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters at all because it was in so many different perspectives. There was also a lot of questionable things that just never got answered and it annoyed me that I was going to have to read like four more books to get the answer to a seemingly simple question. I wouldn't reccommend this series to anyone unless they don't mind when series have fluff books where nothing happens.
Mitchel_Walls
Currently Reading: Every Heart a Doorway
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchel-walls.html

Post by Mitchel_Walls »

I really enjoyed this book, it was exciting and on a constant cliff hanger that makes you want to carry on reading. I always felt like I was apart of the story and that I was always one of the characters, it always could relate to real life but with an interesting twist.
David Bowman
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Ulysses</a>
Currently Reading: Echo
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-bowman.html
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by David Bowman »

t_ris512 wrote:In a small town in Southern California every person aged fifteen and above vanish, and a mysterious opaque dome appears around the town. As the teens and children struggle to survive, they discover that some of them have special, supernatural abilities.

I began this series a few years back and finished it about one year ago. Throughout all six novels the story line captivated me and kept me wanting more. Michael Grant created a world that was just enough impossible but still real and people could relate to. He gave twists and surprises that kept me wanting more.
Not only did he create an amazing story line, but the characters were well written and grew along with the story line.
I would highly recommend this novel to any teen or adult who loves survival stories and science fiction.
Somewhere (I think it was the author's twitter page) I read that Gone was going to be adapted into a TV series. Hopefully it'll improve over the books.

So far I read Gone, Hunger, and Lies, so I'm halfway through. I enjoyed reading the first one, but like Ashley Nicole said, the second book was disappointing. Lies, I think, was worse, though, especially since Grant decided to keep on adding character after character and new POVs that really feels like a car slamming its brakes on 100 mph - this occurred a lot during the end of the book, where all the tense action was at. Nevertheless, I'm still thinking in continuing the series.
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

ashley-nicole wrote: 07 May 2015, 18:05 This series had so much potential! Unfortunately, I couldn't get past Hunger. I absolutely loved Gone. I couldn't put it down but then when I moved on to Hunger I couldn't get into it at all. I don't even think I finished it because it was so boring. Basically nothing happened and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters at all because it was in so many different perspectives. There was also a lot of questionable things that just never got answered and it annoyed me that I was going to have to read like four more books to get the answer to a seemingly simple question. I wouldn't reccommend this series to anyone unless they don't mind when series have fluff books where nothing happens.
The same thing happened with me. The first book was so fascinating and had me on the edge of my seat! But the plot progression in Hunger was so slow that I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. I just got frustrated that it felt like nothing was happening and I wasn’t learning anything new about the interesting world the author created. I’m curious to know whether people found it worth it to push through to the end.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”