Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

Icon Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl"

Post by michystar12 »

Anne Frank was a young girl who lives in the period of the Holocaust (the holocaust is a period in which a leader, Adolf Hitler, adopted anti-Semitic decrease in most of Germany. He hated Jews and blamed for the political and social problems of Germany even though the economic decline was effect of the money wasted when the war ended in 1918. It completely describes her experience when hiding. No brief explanation can be given from this book because it doesn't have a complete plot but the story is based on Anne's point of view. It covers fights with her mom, other Jew family that hiding with them, her thoughts about hitler, nazis, raiding parties, and so much more. This is the only book that I've seen so far without an error in date or facts because this is the story of a girl who ACTUALLY lived through that period. If you are happened to be interested in the holocaust, need to do research on the holocaust or just want to know what REALLY happened in the holocaust, there can't be a better book than Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl." You'll be seeing what Anne is seeing. It is just downright interesting.
Here is a brief sneak-peek at the book so you can see the detailed part of the Holocaust:
On Nazi Punishment Of Jews
"Have you ever heard the term 'hostages'? That's the latest punishment for saboteurs. It's the most horrible thing you can imagine. Leading citizens--innocent people--are taken prisoner to await their execution. If the Gestapo can't find the saboteur, they simply grab five hostages and line them up against the wall. You read the announcements of their death in the paper, where they're referred to as 'fatal accidents'."
- October 9, 1942
"All college students are being asked to sign an official statement to the effect that they 'sympathize with the Germans and approve of the New Order." Eighty percent have decided to obey the dictates of their conscience, but the penalty will be severe. Any student refusing to sign will be sent to a German labor camp."
- May 18, 1943
On Still Believing
"It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more"
- July 15, 1944
Thanks for reading. I give this book 5 stars and if Anne Frank have written any other stories or doodles or scribbles, I would've read them. Rest In Peace (R.I.P.) Anne Frank
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

This book was the first that I've read that really made me cry. It was so heart-breaking to read her hopeful words and see that she really believed that she was going to live, and then to read the epilogue and read about what happened to her.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think the book is a must for a glimpse into the actual suffering of ordinary people during the World War II. Its quite heart wrenching to read about the emotions and aspirations of a young girl who did not want to give up, even when she and her family were forced into hiding.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

hpsecrets99 wrote:This book was the first that I've read that really made me cry. It was so heart-breaking to read her hopeful words and see that she really believed that she was going to live, and then to read the epilogue and read about what happened to her.
This is what I exactly went through.
I read this when I was about 10 and it was the first book that really made me cry. I knew what was going to happen to her and even though I knew it, I was still so hopeful for her. I cried like a baby toward the end.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read it and found it touching as well. It was heart-breaking indeed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
elovesbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elovesbooks.html

Post by elovesbooks »

It feels so intimate to be reading her diary. It truly shows us the life of a young Jewish girl during the holocaust. I love how relatable Anne's feelings are, even though she lived a completely different life from us 21th century teenagers (ex: her feelings towards her mother.)
Georgiapeachavp

Post by Georgiapeachavp »

I am currently reading this book again for the 1 millionth time. It is heartbreaking reading her thoughts and hopes knowing that eventually she would no longer be alive to carry them out. To read her diary is so intimate. It's amazing how relatable you can you feel toward someone who lived years before you.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I have just started reading this book for a class assignment. We are reading it in a textbook, so it is not the full version, but once we finish I am going to read the full version. I can't wait! :) I was so happy when my teacher assigned this book, because I have been interested in it and Anne for a while.
offorsobianco
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-offorsobianco.html

Post by offorsobianco »

hpsecrets99 wrote:This book was the first that I've read that really made me cry. It was so heart-breaking to read her hopeful words and see that she really believed that she was going to live, and then to read the epilogue and read about what happened to her.
I cried too! When I first read it as a kid, I looked up what happened to her before I read it just to mentally prepare myself. I still held hope that she lived all the way through the end. It's so captivating that you almost forget it's real. :cry:
ashen0521
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashen0521.html

Post by ashen0521 »

This book was a tear-jerker for sure. Since ninth grade when I really started getting into what happened in the holocaust and the war I have read books and articles and I would say 99% of them have made me cry. The holocaust was just horrific.
aschuck_13

Post by aschuck_13 »

Would like to learn more about what happened in the Holocaust so this book sounds like a good fit.
tburhart2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tburhart2.html

Post by tburhart2 »

It was painful to read this book. I felt so powerless knowing what was going to happen to her and seeing her write such hopewell words about the war ending.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

It hurt to read and watch as the war changed Anne. The end really hit me hard.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Karunavk
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karunavk.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Karunavk »

The innocence protrayed in the beginning, the description of how they adjusted into the situation. The continuous fear they faced and yet the tendency to find normalcy is heart wrenching. The reader can't help but hope for Anne and her family to reach a happy ending after going through so much. After all that, reading the epilogue, knowing what happened and reminding myself that this is a real story, I couldn't help but cry out for her and all the others with her. Holocaust is such a stain on our society, it never should have happened.
Cossette

Post by Cossette »

I read this book back in 6th grade and it Broke my heart while it also helped me understand my depression in a way, that even though we might be trapped in a certain situation, there will always be a tiny window to look out of.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”