What part of The Giver makes it memorable?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
purpleflower
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purpleflower.html

What part of The Giver makes it memorable?

Post by purpleflower »

The renewed enthusiasm for Lois Lowry's The Giver makes me think back to my first reading of the book. What stuck with me was releasing members of the community. I remember being so up in arms against euthanasia when I was in school. Now over 10 years since the first reading, I'm thinking about the genetic engineering: how to take away color from sight, their hormone suppressing injections and each role the children are placed into at the ceremony. There are so many great discussion points in here. What do you think?
Reader-H

Post by Reader-H »

I think that the most memorable thing for me, when I first read the book a few years ago, was when Jonas first began to see color.I think that when Jonas starts to see color and figure out what the government has done to that society, it's an important turning point in the novel. That point, I feel, is what makes The Giver most memorable. I adore the way that Lois Lowry took an interesting spin on the idea of a dystopia. I liked that instead of there being utter havoc and crisis in the world, society has leveled humans out to make them all equal in every aspect... that in itself seems to be almost as messed up and corrupted in its own way.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

For me, the part that still sticks with me was the disassociation and detachment that Jonas's father had when he sent the one twin toddler away. I don't want to get into too many details but Lois Lowry's description of the process was very realistic and that image will forever be burned on my brain.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I think the ending is quite memorable. It's stuck with me since I first read the book about ten years ago. Then there's little things like their bicycles and the actual moment when their future is determined. Also, when Jonas stopped taking his pills.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I remember that The Giver was the first book that ever made me cry. I loved the characters so much and when Jonah found out the truth about what his dad did to the twins, I just cried for him. It was just so great and I still love it so much
wapeeler

Post by wapeeler »

Oh man,no many options! When Jonas first sees in color! The discovery of what it means to be sent "away" from the community, still sends chills down my spine! Lowry was a genius!
LadyKaylee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladykaylee.html

Post by LadyKaylee »

I reread it as an adult, and I was disappointed by the ending. In my opinion, it changed from beautiful and poetic to stupid and trite via the intervene ing years and added experience in life and literature.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I think a point that stuck out to me was them giving the children a comfort object, but they did not call it what it really was. An elephant they said was a hippo. I found it very odd that they didn't tell them the true name of the comfort object. But Jonah discovered what it really was as his eyes began to see the truth. Perhaps that is how we all are. We see things as we are told they are, but as the truth shines its light we discover it wasn't exactly as we were led to believe.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
ambalon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambalon.html

Post by ambalon »

Just reading this forum topic regarding The Giver and some of the other posts in the other section...It makes me want to pick up the book and read it! It was not part of my school Curriculum growing up and It was not a book I have picked up yet but with all the recent hype about it (I believe there is a movie coming out if it didn't already) I now want to read the book. From seeing that the children had to face the government and how the government viewed society does this series have the same governmental concept as The Hunger games? I mean look at how The Hunger Games viewed the children in that society? I am just wondering as I have never picked up the giver and have read some posts so maybe some one could enlighten me a little ;) !

Thank you So much!
MarieMc

Post by MarieMc »

Not the same as Hunger Games. Peace is more sought after in The Giver. I don't want to give away too much, but there was control, just in a much different way. It is a very good read. But for me it came together much better after I read the books that followed. In Hunger Games the control was outright and not hidden. In the Giver it was more subtle and unknown to most until the Naming event. Then things became known to Jonas. Children were very important, but they had to be perfect. :wink:
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Fatima Ariana
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-ariana.html

Post by Fatima Ariana »

The most memorable part of The Giver personally was the ending. Obviously the ending sticks with a lot of people, but I remember being so furious that we didn't get to see what happens afterwards that even years after reading it, I can never forget the book.
MarieMc

Post by MarieMc »

Fatima Ariana » Yesterday, 12:41

The most memorable part of The Giver personally was the ending. Obviously the ending sticks with a lot of people, but I remember being so furious that we didn't get to see what happens afterwards that even years after reading it, I can never forget the book.
Read the next books. It will come together!
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I think that one of the things that makes the Giver so memorable is that he fights against it. In the book the boy realizes that things are wrong. And then he starts to think and act against them. I love how it ends, and that it gives people a unique perspective on a different society.

-- 05 Feb 2015, 20:32 --

I think that one of the things that makes the Giver so memorable is that he fights against it. In the book the boy realizes that things are wrong. And then he starts to think and act against them. I love how it ends, and that it gives people a unique perspective on a different society.
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Post by caity_cat_23 »

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

The Giver is the ONLY book that I was forced to read that I enjoyed. It is one of my favorite books! I think one of the parts that struck me most was when his parents would rather say that they appreciate him or admire him rather than love him. Also, as others have said "releasing" people really bothered me when I first read it. I had never really heard about euthanasia or anything other than doing it to animals when there was nothing that could be done to save them. Realizing that in this seemingly perfect community, they were killing people and babies and it didn't seem to bother anyone except Jonas and the Giver. The book was very thought provoking for me and still is after re-reading it three times. It's fascinating to me how they thought that eliminating color and music etc. could ever be for the better. it terrifies me to think of a world like this, void of all emotion. I think that's what stuck out the most, how people can honestly think that what they're doing is right when it is so wrong.
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky
Nicolespada4a

Post by Nicolespada4a »

For me. It's when Jonas starting to really notice things for the first time like the colours and music it's such a cool outlook on life ,makes you apreciate the little things.

-- 13 Feb 2015, 00:52 --

For me. It's when Jonas starting to really notice things for the first time like the colours and music it's such a cool outlook on life ,makes you apreciate the little things.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”