Review of EcoQueen Soft Cover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of EcoQueen Soft Cover

Post by Gabriella H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "EcoQueen Soft Cover" by joanna kanow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

EcoQueen: The Superhero with the Power to Reverse Climate Change by Joanna Measer Kanow is an interesting and creative take on climate change. There are so many superheroes in existence, but EcoQueen is the first climate change superhero I know.

The earth has been neglected and maltreated for so long, and it has had enough! If EcoQueen (Kora) doesn’t do something quickly, it might very well be the end of the world. Kora knows she isn't like everyone else. She can’t touch anything with electricity without it blowing up. However, this “abnormality" could very well be the thing that saves the world. Can she master how to use it? Will she be too late? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

The plot of this book is very interesting, new, and different. I love how the author has created a fun and creative way for people to learn about climate change. I learned so much from this book. Kora’s emotions were conveyed very well, and this made her seem very real to me, which in turn made her easy to like, relate with, and sympathize with.

I think my favorite aspect of this book was the creative way in which EcoQueen solved every new challenge she faced, even when it seemed beyond her. The author also described things adequately and beautifully, and this helped me follow the story. I like how facts like the Deepwater Horizon oil spill of 2010 were smoothly weaved into the book.

There were a few things I didn’t like about this book. I didn’t like the unnecessary repetitions. An example of these unnecessary repetitions was the stating of Río's ability multiple times, sometimes with the same words. I also found some parts of the book to be conflicting and hypocritical. I found it conflicting that Río and EcoQueen relied on coltan for the technology to conduct their missions but condemned its mining and big corporations for buying and using it. I found this to be very hypocritical and conflicting. Also, towards the end of the book, I felt like I was being bombarded with too much information and too much data. I saw only a few minor errors in the book. Therefore, I believe this book has been edited by a professional editor. Due to the reasons stated above, I believe a rating of 3 out of 4 stars is suitable.

If you’ve ever wondered how having a climate change superhero would be, this might be the perfect book for you. Readers who enjoy an interesting and creative adventure novel with a bit of action will really appreciate and enjoy this book. I believe this book is suitable for children from the age of seven and above, teens, young adults, and even older adults.

EcoQueen Soft Cover
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

I feel like this is a great novel for people who want to learn more about climate change in this way. Definitely a great concept. Amazing review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

In amazed by the plethora of climate change details in this book. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really know much about climate change and I’m hoping that this book can help. I’m also intrigued by Kora’s superpower.
Gabriella H

Post by Gabriella H »

TheGayOne12 wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 02:18 I feel like this is a great novel for people who want to learn more about climate change in this way. Definitely a great concept. Amazing review!
Yes! I'm sure people will learn a lot about climate change from this book. I love the concept. Thanks for your comment!
Gabriella H

Post by Gabriella H »

Essy Nma wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 03:27 In amazed by the plethora of climate change details in this book. Thanks for the review.
Yes, it's a good source for getting information about climate change. Thank you for your comment!
Gabriella H

Post by Gabriella H »

Amy Luman wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 11:06 I don’t really know much about climate change and I’m hoping that this book can help. I’m also intrigued by Kora’s superpower.
I believe it will help you in learning about climate change because I learned a lot from it. Her powers are so cool! Thank you for commenting on my review!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I've never wondered about a climate superhero because it hadn't crossed my mind. Now it has, I think it's a great idea, and I'm eager to read this. Great review.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

This is such an interesting approach to climate change, an eco-hero. It's sad, though, that we have to wait for a superhero to fix the earth when it is humans' responsibility.
tfy9601
Currently Reading: Empire of Storms
Bookshelf Size: 594
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tfy9601.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by tfy9601 »

I have never known of a super hero that figths climate change, and definitely sounds fascinating. Even though the repetition you mention is not attractive, I still think it can be a good story to pick up. Nice review!
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”