Howl's Moving Castle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kait Quarles
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Paper Magician and Maze Runner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 1778

Icon Howl's Moving Castle

Post by Kait Quarles »

Howl's Moving Castle is set in the land of Ingary where things like wizards, witches, and demons are common place. Sophie, our main character in this story, is the eldest of three sisters and because of this she is destined to lead a boring life running her fathers hat shop while her younger sisters go off to seek their fortunes. Everything is practicable and boring just as Sophie knew it would be until the Witch of the Waste comes into her hat shop claiming she has meddled in something that belongs to her and turns her into an old woman out of spite. Now Sophie has to leave her home and set out to seek her own fortune which leads her making a deal with the wicked Wizard Howl and living in his ever moving castle.

It's very much like a fairy tale in that it uses and pokes fun at fairy tale tropes like evil stepsister and how only the young and innocent are meant to be successful. I have reread this book many times and still find I discover tiny new details every time I do but the absolute best thing about this book is how it shows a girl overcoming her apathy for her place in life and seeing that she can be more if she wants to be. Becoming old makes Sophie fearless and while transformed she truly finds herself. If you love fantasy, magic, and a little bit of romance read this book and see for your self.

If anyone has already read this book or its series and has a different view I would love to hear it.
cjconcep
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjconcep.html

Post by cjconcep »

WHOA WHAT? Howl's Moving Castle is a BOOK?! I thought it was just a movie by Hayao Miyazaki?

My mind has been blown. :shock:

It looks like the plot is exactly the same as the movie. Thanks for posting this! Now, I think I'm gonna go on a book hunt for this and start reading it!

-C.J.
Amii3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amii3.html

Post by Amii3 »

cjconcep wrote:WHOA WHAT? Howl's Moving Castle is a BOOK?! I thought it was just a movie by Hayao Miyazaki?

It looks like the plot is exactly the same as the movie. Thanks for posting this! Now, I think I'm gonna go on a book hunt for this and start reading it!

-C.J.
Haha I thought the same thing just a few days ago. I didn't know Howl's Moving Castle ( which was an amazing movie) was a book.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I didn't know this was a book, either! It sounds really interesting! Does anyone know if the book is based on the movie or if the movie is based on the book?
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
vespiquen

Post by vespiquen »

You're blowing everyone's minds by telling us Howl's Moving Castle is a book, now it's on my To Read list! :D
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I actually just found out about this, both the book and the movie just yesterday. But based on what I have seen so far, I guess I have been missing out on this one. :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
jmlambert

Post by jmlambert »

cjconcep wrote:WHOA WHAT? Howl's Moving Castle is a BOOK?! I thought it was just a movie by Hayao Miyazaki?

-C.J.
Yes it is! I actually read the book about 2 years ago. Let me warn you though, Hayao Miyazaki bought the rights to turn the book into the movie, however, neither are exactly the same. The plot is the same yes, but it's full of more adventure and the book could get quite confusing. It threw me through a loop when I first read it.
How they are different is that Miyazaki sort of changed the story in order to make it into the movie that it is.
pastelove

Post by pastelove »

OMG I didn't know it was a book either! I'm so excited i need to find it. The movie is one of my favorites! I even named my kitten Calcifer ^.^
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Sounds like a worthwhile book/movie. I've never heard of it until now, but I'm intrigued. I'm writing it on the "to-read" list right now!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

Oh My Gosh. :shock:
Howl's Moving Castle is probably one of my all time favorite movies.
Had no Idea that it was actually a book. I will most definitely be adding the book to my reading list.
:D :D :D
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hailey_Gardner wrote:Oh My Gosh. :shock:
Howl's Moving Castle is probably one of my all time favorite movies.
Had no Idea that it was actually a book. I will most definitely be adding the book to my reading list.
:D :D :D
Same for me!!! It was on TV here not too long ago (in the original Japanese, of course) and like every other thing ever created by Ghibli, I just cried through the whole thing...
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I actually saw Howl's Moving Castle movie after watching Spirited away and I Wanted to watch other movies by the same director. I absolutely loved it especially Howl!! Amazing story and artwork! Loved it! <3
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Wars of Words
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wars-of-words.html

Post by Wars of Words »

One of my childhood favorites. Whenever I see a copy for sale I have to bring it home!
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I'm so fond of this book, I've reread it a lot and I think it will always be a favourite of mine. I do like the movie a lot too but can enjoy it better thinking of it as separate to the book.

Also, for a long time I used to incorporate 'calcifer' into my usernames on websites :D
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas
Kali0925
Currently Reading: Noru 4: When Angels Break
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kali0925.html

Post by Kali0925 »

Howl's Moving Castle is one of my all time favorite, it's amazing and mind bending! I would definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to get out of the ordinary and promote even more the use of your imagination.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”