Review of Overcoming what you cannot forget

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Review of Overcoming what you cannot forget

Post by Brett Linette »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Overcoming what you cannot forget" by Javonnie Beall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Overcoming what you cannot forget by Javonnie Beall is a book about (dare I say) overcoming what you cannot forget. Javonnie didn't think she'd ever forgive her parents; after everything they'd done, who would? It isn't until Javonnie goes to therapy that she learns the benefits of forgiveness. Thanks to therapy, Javonnie goes on to learn from her parents' mistakes and be the parent that her children need her to be.

I wasn't ready for Javonnie's father. After she and her siblings forget to take the keys to the house with them before going out, they return to the house not knowing how to get inside. Despite knocking on the door, their father refuses to answer them. This isn't even the worst part. It's when Javonnie climbs through the window that her father beats her with a belt. This is just one of the many things that her father does to her.

What's interesting is that Javonnie offers us her father's side of the story. She makes a point to mention that her father grew up having to provide for his sisters. While this doesn't justify her father's bitterness, it could very well explain it. The fact that Javonnie is able to say such nice things about her father goes to show just how nice of a person she really is.

I like how Javonnie tells us about all (yes, all) of the relationships that she has had over the years. I kid you not when I say that she even tells us about a "relationship" that she had in the sixth grade. It's the way that she went about these relationships that make them interesting. If you feel like you know her by now, you could guess that she remained friends with all of her exes (even the ones who cheated on her).

All things considered, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. As much as I didn't like the things that happened to Javonnie, there's nothing that I disliked about her recount of the said things. Javonnie tells the story to perfect. While the writing has a lot of style, it doesn't consist of any errors. Because of how forgiving Javonnie has shown herself to be, I'd recommend this book to those who are holding a grudge of which they'd like to let go.

Overcoming what you cannot forget
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's nice of the author to provide a broad perspective. I think a lot of people would benefit from the author's story. Great review.
Beambeam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Beambeam »

Through the review, am sure most people will gain a lot from the book. Nice review.
Mabosi paul brian
Currently Reading: Through my window
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mabosi paul brian »

Indeed, most people are to benefit from the authors story, great review
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

This book sounds insightful and uplifting. The ideas sound stoic and noble. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Forgiveness isn't something that's easy to do. It's something that only the strong and courageous can do.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Family dynamics always have a lot of impact on one’s growth and development. One has to forgive all, including oneself first. I like this review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”