Review of Mary’s story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of Mary’s story

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mary’s story" by Rebecca Foreman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary’s Story by Rebecca Foreman captures the true-life story of the author. The resilient Rebecca Foreman was born and bred in Melbourne, Australia, as the last child in a family of three children. However, sometimes life throws the toughest of experiences to the strongest of us, and this exemplifies what the story of Rebecca Foreman, aka Mary, centers around. After over two years of experiencing constant headaches after a misdiagnosis, she was finally properly diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM), one of the deadliest forms of brain cancer. In true Mary fashion, she would not give up on herself and would approach this condition with a positive attitude despite the glaring deficiencies in the healthcare system that was supposed to detect the condition early and treat her properly. The author, in the most selfless of acts, hopes to employ her tough, negative experiences with patient care to shine a light on a failing system that must be improved upon to help patients properly.

The book is both an exposé and an autobiography, as, besides the author's central aim of writing the book, we follow her story from childhood and experience her influences and moments with her family that would shape who she would become. I very much enjoyed how she presented her story in this manner, as it gave me the opportunity to connect with her as a person, and she had several qualities that readers will love, from her selflessness, which I mentioned earlier, to her adventurous nature that would see her take us on different trips and explore new opportunities to grow, Including engaging in kundalini yoga that will pique readers' interest in regards to improving awareness and health. This was why it became quite a difficult and emotional read for me while she took me through the events leading up to her illness and beyond.

At 107 pages, the book is a concise read, and Mary's writing is straightforward since she doesn't delve too much into discussing the full impact of these experiences on her and her family, which I did not particularly like. Nonetheless, the pictures of the experiences she included throughout the book did well to give more insight into what was happening in those periods. She even includes letters, test results, and diagnoses to illustrate her point that the healthcare system is deficient in regard to patient care.

The importance of family was also highlighted in the author's story, as we saw how her mother, most of all, stood strong for her and took care of her. The author also passes several insightful lessons revolving around the significance of spirituality, the power of our words, and the value of supporting each other.

Nevertheless, the book was not properly edited. I encountered too many errors that distracted me on every page of the book. This was what I disliked the most about this read. Employing the services of a professional editor will greatly improve this aspect of the book. All things considered, Mary’s Story was an emotional eye-opener, and I must applaud the author and her family for finding the strength to share this story. However, the book's editing greatly affected the book's quality. Therefore, I rate this book two out of four stars. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy impactful autobiographies.

Mary’s story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

It's a shame that the book isn't properly edited. I hope it goes through another round of editing. Great review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I like that this is a straightforward read. However, the negative aspects mentioned make me skeptical about reading this. Thank you for the review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I would have liked to read more about the impact of Mary's experiences. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

True pictures of events make everything better. Mary’s story only shows that the strongest people have to endure the most.
Beambeam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Beambeam »

Am really curious to read this book based on the negative aspects highlighted. Thanks for the review.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

This seems like a very interesting book.
I would love to read this book.
Nice review.
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

Your review is honest and detailed. The errors in the book are pretty unfortunate.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I'm inspired by Mary's strength and optimism despite the deadly illness she has to face.
Mabosi paul brian
Currently Reading: Through my window
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mabosi paul brian »

I like that it is a straightforwad read book eventhough not all that well edited. Also inspired of mary's strength reguardless of that illness she faced. Nice review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

it gives hope to hear or read about courageous people.
Each one of us has it's own struggles and we have to succeed, we wil.
I want to thank the author of the book for sharing her personal expierence.
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Despite her diagnosis she was still adventurous, travelling and exploring. I will like to know more abou the impact of her life. Great review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”