Review of Valley of the Voodons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Valley of the Voodons

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Valley of the Voodons" by John Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Valley of the Voodons is a hybrid of the sci-fi and fantasy genres. John Reynolds takes the reader to the Kingdom of Zandrus, where an age-old threat resurfaces once again to strike terror in the heart of the Zandrusites.

After her mother's retirement decision, Princess Kimnos will be the next Queen of Zandrus. She is kidnapped before her coronation by the Voodons. Two mysterious female musicians set out to rescue her. They make shocking discoveries in their quest to rescue Princess Kimnos. Can they put their discoveries together and rescue the princess on time? What's the magnitude of the threat Zandrusites face?

John Reynolds used the cliché good vs. evil framework to develop the story in Valley of the Voodons. I already knew how it would likely end but expected a twist. The plot was straightforward with no suspense. A writing flow that was smooth and articulated created a good reading experience.

A significant game-changer was the STINC (Stellar's Type One Nebula Computer) — a device that could do anything. I felt like it was plot armor, helping to move the story along. The origin and operator character background wasn't fleshed out; it created a rushed feeling to the novel. Without it, there wouldn't be much of a story.

I took notice of Prince Darnos. His naivety had a significant impact on the kingdom's fate. With the patriarchal dogma stemming from his friends' support, he made some decisions that affected his people in more ways than one.

The consequence of ignorance is also portrayed, as we see how the Zandrusites view the Voodons. Ignorance helps flame the spread of superstitious beliefs, and it takes a moment of true enlightenment to break that perception. This is a significant problem in our world today. Many of us live in archaic and biased knowledge. I hope we see the truth to our numerous delusions one day.

I love the role music played in this story. I love music and believe it is one profound therapy for the soul. I may not agree entirely with the author's insinuation that it solves all problems, but it helps significantly. It also created an excellent opportunity to use some good puns during conversations.

The novel is meant for young teens, as seen in the simplicity of the message and the song around which the story revolves. With only two errors, there wasn't much to dislike. Therefore, I'd give it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to young teens who like fantasy and musically-themed books. Adults may also find it interesting.

Valley of the Voodons
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Seems like a book kids in highschool would enjoy reading. Great review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

What an interesting review. The book, from the highlights in this review, would make an interesting read.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Buch1-Dm wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 13:49 Lovers of fantasy fiction have a great one here. They should check it out.
Yeah. We gather here. Another delicious cook to devour.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Raymond N wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 06:54 Seems like a book kids in highschool would enjoy reading. Great review.
Perhaps. Generally, it appears to make a great read.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This book will be loved by teenagers and this one seems interesting. And I love the simplicity of the story and I know it'll be a good read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”