Review of The Power of "I"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of The Power of "I"

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power of "I"" by Coach Reggie Ward.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes a person needs a bit of inspiration to take themselves to the next level or pull themselves from the trap of self-doubt. Sometimes a simple, hopeful, straightforward approach is best. If this is the case, then The Power of I by Coach Reggie Ward is the book for you.

The author is an athletic coach who believes in inspiring and helping others. This brief book engages the reader with uncomplicated steps to help them become inspired and to believe in their own intuition. The book doesn’t do any deep digging into difficult psychological topics or ask the reader to delve into their past to try and understand their behavior. It simply guides the reader past self-doubt through inspiration and encouragement.

The book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text. It was written in an informal style that is easy for readers to understand and relate to.

Although the author approaches the subject matter from a Christian viewpoint, he was never preachy. I did not feel left out or proselytized as an agnostic. However, hardline nonbelievers might not appreciate the religious aspects of the book. The book contains no profanity or discussion of disturbing topics and is appropriate for teens and adults.

My favorite part of the book was the Inspirational Alphabet chapter, which invites the reader to associate uplifting words with the letters of their name and come up with an encouraging affirmation using those words. For instance, my phrase might read as follows:

“Cara is confident and caring. She is approachable and adaptive and makes herself available to assist those in need. She is respectful of others and strives to be responsible and ready. She aspires to be amazing in her own way.”

If you are like me, you may feel a little bit silly or arrogant writing or saying such things about yourself, but it really made me feel happy. I struggle a great deal with low self-esteem, so it certainly doesn’t hurt to have some positive messages to play over the self-criticism that my psyche is filled with.

While there is nothing at all wrong with the book, my only complaint is wanting more. If the author were to expand on the book, it would be even more useful and uplifting. I am giving The Power of I four out of four stars because my feeling that it should be expanded is a matter of personal preference rather than an actual fault in the material.

The Power of "I"
View: on Bookshelves
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Sometimes what people need is a little push, a little inspiration to do the extraordinary things. This book would be really inspiring, I look forward to reading it. Great review.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

Books like these are one of my favourites. It helps uplift the morale of its readers and would be insightful to people having difficulties focusing on the positive aspect of themself.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

My favorite part of the book was the Inspirational Alphabet chapter, which invites the reader to associate uplifting words with the letters of their name and come up with an encouraging affirmation using those words.
I agree this is a fun way to help someone develop positive thoughts about themselves. I also like that the book does not particularly rely on psychological analysis but is instead straightforward encouragement.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Not bad that paragraph about Cara. I tried it with my own name.
Excellent review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Teenagers would definitely benefit from this encouragement. It’s very hard for them to realize that they can do anything good or say anything good about themselves.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Sometimes books like this try to attach a connection between your lack of motivation and self doubt to past trauma.but is that really the right choice or would that open some old scars. In this book itself it doesn't seem to be the case, inspiring people to overcome self doubt without causing any friction is definitely a book to look out for. Thanks for your review.
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

I love Cara,she is confident, caring and always want to meet up to people's need.Great review
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I love how the author took out time to inspire others to be more just like cara who is approachable and makes herself available for those in need. Nice review
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

I like the plot of this must-read self-help read. At least once in a lifetime, one feels low self-esteem for one reason or another. Any book or person willing to inspire and guide is most welcome. From this review, there is no preaching or psychological introspection. Sometimes this is all that it takes. The tone is kind and involving. Great book!
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

We all need that little push in some situations. Even when you have a strong mindset due to strong mental upbringing, there are few times in life when you feel so down. I would like to get this book for a friend of mine, she is a counselor and I know it would help her to help others.
Thanks for the great review.
Hector Craabow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Hector Craabow »

It is of true perspective with different interpretation, looking forward to Reading it : :techie-reference:
Hasina hassen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hasina hassen »

I think this kinds of books are really important for teen to read b/c every teenager feels that there weak, cant do anything usfull, always a disappointment to everyone around them. This book might help them to understand that there more and it can bring confidential feeling about them selves. And even accept them selves for who they are. I really liked it
Whitney Gauises
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Whitney Gauises »

Inspiring young ones especially teen agers, that feel like that cant make it in life, "self esteem, peer pressure especially teenagers" the book teaches you how to stand up for yourself, make the right decisions in life.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Thank you so much. I look forward to reading this wonderful book. Great review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”