Review of Before the Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Before the Rising

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before the Rising" by Keryn Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in Napier, New Zealand, Before the Rising takes us into the life of Rebecca. Rebecca is a teenage girl trying to get through the normalcy of her life while discovering the world has a higher purpose for her. This book is a fantasy novel that thins the line between reality and myth.

Rebecca, undergoing the standard confusion that comes with life after high school and a budding romance, is thrust into making world-changing decisions after discovering the mystery of her origin. Will she answer the hero's call? What will be the aftermath of her decisions?

Keryn Powell did an excellent job using her immediate surroundings to spin a good story. The scenes were well detailed, especially the coastal areas. Being an island country, New Zealand was appropriate for the plot involving scenes around the sea. The characters synergized well during their appearances; each helped to accentuate the personality of the other.

The novel started with multiple viewpoints that brought up a lot of unanswered questions. As I read on and got to the end, I had to go back to the beginning to get better clarity. Thankfully, the ending answered questions asked at the beginning, which is one of the canons of a good book.

This novel also proved that you could use seemingly mundane stuff and turn them into something magical. That could be seen in how the author used the biological occurrence of bioluminescence, ichthyosis, and the intelligence of dolphins to enhance the story's plot. Now I wouldn't look at someone with ichthyosis the same way anymore.

Although the saving-the-world plot mold had been used numerous times in the art of storytelling, the author offered a realistic and fresh take on it. Being made to carry the weight of the world with little to no experience reminded me of the famous saying, "with great power comes great responsibility." "The Rising," the doomsday device used, was a befitting primary nemesis alongside the minor villains.

The author uses this novel as a medium to send a message about the current situation in our world. The ecological state of our world is ever-changing due to various man-made decisions. Keryn Powell brings to light the possible inevitable consequences of poor decision-making.

Kudos to the editors for a good job; I found only two errors. The dolphin image used in the viewpoint transition added to the book's aesthetic. The writing style was excellent for a first novel. With absolutely nothing to dislike, I'd give Before the Rising 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to fantasy readers. You'd have a swell time with this book if you enjoy stories with saving-the-world plots.

Before the Rising
View: on Bookshelves
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

From the review, I think it would make a great movie. Nice work.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I enjoyed your review. The plot, revolving around the theme of decision-making, sounds entertaining even though it is a save-the-world story.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

I like the breakdown and clarity the review provides. great reiew.
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

A really nice review. Looking forward to knowing what decisions Rebecca made.
Thanks for the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

The world is in grave danger in various aspects so save-the-world stories are needed to arouse people's consciousness about the matter.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This looks like a great fantasy book for young adults. I liked that the author pointed out the importance of decision making. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

I love how the author makes use of the biological occurrence of bioluminescence and ichthyosis to explain this story and make us understand the consequence of the poor man-made decisions in our world. Great review.
Tina M 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tina-m-2.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Tina M 2 »

Your review does not give out the plot but definitely hints it to be a good book. I also like the authors approach of involving biological elements in the novel. This is definitely a must read, thanks for the beautiful review!
Ethan Golin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-golin.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ethan Golin »

I love multiple perspective stories as well as fantasy so I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the great review.
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

Interesting and thrilling. I will add this to my list of want-to-reads. Well done.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”