Review of Thorn of Secrets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Review of Thorn of Secrets

Post by Tony Official »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thorn of Secrets" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After being sexually assaulted, Madison moves to Baton Rouge with her daughter, Justice. At Thibodeaux's thanksgiving dinner, many shocking secrets were revealed, which further estranged her relationship with Justin. She mourns and tries to get over Justin. This leads her to accept Chauncey's proposal.

She thinks she is over Justin, but it only takes running into him at an eatery for her to realize that she isn’t over him yet. She decides to break things off with Chauncey. Things get more interesting when Jackson, the guy who sexually assaulted Madison, absconded because of his forthcoming trial. Madison became afraid; she would watch her back at every second anticipating Jackson's attack. Nothing happens until six months later, when Jackson kidnaps Madison.

Thorn of Secrets by B. Truly is an interesting work of fiction. It is the continuation of the book Scorn of Secrets. It’s a great book which you can understand without having to read the first book; I feel this can make an amazing read as a stand-alone. It tells the story of Madison, her trials, and her growth. The author really did an amazing job on this one. Even as a sequel, I was able to understand the book without having to read the first story. I developed a camaraderie with Madison. I was able to understand her resentment towards her sister Tanya and even towards Charlotte, her mum. The plot of this story was well established. It basically started with Madison moving to Baton Rouge, then meeting Chauncey, pressing charges, and eventually getting kidnapped. I love Truly's narrative style; it made me understand Madison's character and be able to connect with her. I love the way Truly addressed the issues of trauma and abuse in this book. It gave me this feeling of hope, and I know it would give hope to its readers. My favorite personality in the book is Justice; she adds so much light to this book. I like the fact that Madison was able to press charges and get back on her feet. She decided to finish school, not minding what people would say about her. This book has a great amount of suspense, especially towards the end of the book when I was anticipating what would be the fate of Madison after being kidnapped.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I loved everything about it. It was professionally edited as I only found one error in it. I think the author should be commended for ensuring this book was almost error-free.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave it a full star rating because of the positive aspects I stated above. I really enjoyed everything about this book. The storyline of this book was what I loved most. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction and to those recovering from sexual abuse. This book also has a few instances of sexual scenes and also vulgarity. In the end, I look forward to reading more books from this amazing author.

Thorn of Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

The book has loads of drama, but it's quite predictable. thanks for the review
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

The book cover is the first thing that caught my artention coupled with the awesome choice of words to come up with the book title. I think this would make an exceptional read and I would be looking forward to reading about Madison. Thank you.
chocolaterays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocolaterays.html
Latest Review: Gracefully Owning Life's Dreams by Tisha Lee

Post by chocolaterays »

Oh wow, this seems like an interesting book. Your summary of the book is beautiful. I would love to know what happens after Madison was kidnapped. I would also love to know how the story ended. Thank you for this wonderful review. I would definitely read this bok
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Kudos to the author for being able to produce a good book which you seem to have enjoyed from your rating. I would also love to read this. I applaud the author's choice of the book title. It is captivating.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

The book seems to have suspense and secrets. Unravelling secret and making shocking discoveries make a book interesting. I would love to read this.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

The name Justice sounds out of the blues especially for a daughter. I like how you were able to summarize this book without giving out a spoiler. In fact I am looking forward to reading this book after your excpetional review of it.
Asia rachel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asia rachel »

The names in the book sounds really cool looking forward to reading this book
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It's hard but also crucial to talk about sexual abuse. So I'm really glad the author did a good job there.
And it always makes me smile when a reviewer enjoys the book so much that it shines through their words. 😊
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

There seems to be a lot of interesting characters in this book, and where the situation between Madison and the three men mentioned, seems clear, I am curious about the relationship with her sister and mother.
Edigbo B Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edigbo-b-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Edigbo B Emmanuel »

It Is traumatizing enough to be molested. And on top of that, to be heartbroken twice, especially by someone you love so deeply. To worsen situations, the very one who molested her happens to be on the loose. That alone is enough to keep her perpetually in fear as she was not sure if she was safe. And indeed, her suspicions became a reality by her kidnap once again by Jackson. This book is indeed an amazing one and a must-read. Great review and congratulations on BOTD.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

This book seems intriguing. Sexual assault is not to be taken lightly. Great review
Charles Calapan
Favorite Author: Dr. Randy Ross
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 208647

Post by Charles Calapan »

It's really feel awful every time I heard or read stories of abuses especially on women. Hoping just one day this kind of person will rounded up and get punished. We need books and authors for tales and stories like this to constantly reminds us that despite our society advancement, there still people who lives in the dark and fear for there life because of twisted people who know nothing about respect, about law and most of all about life. And it all boils down to us to keep them in the dark or help them face a bright tomorrow and served justice.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

As I've seen the theme of the book, I must say, this is not for me so I'll skip it. Thanks for your review and congratulations on BOTD!
Alexander Michael_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-michael.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Post by Alexander Michael_ »

I must commend this official review for shedding light on what the book entails.
Seeing the book cover I thought it just about hiding secrets. But this review opened my eyes to a young lady battling with the trauma of being sexually abused.
Great book I'll read it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”